Soy cheese

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chrose, Jan 24, 2006.

1. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was listening to an interview this morning with one of the authors of a new book called "Skinny *****: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous"

During the interview she mentioned Soy Cheese. She said that some is good and some is not so good! She mentioned the name of one of them (I forgot already) but she said it was tasty, melted well and was good for all applications.
    I know it doesn't compete with real cheese, but as a substitute for things like pizza, burrito toppings, etc.
    Anybody have any thoughts on quality, brands, etc.

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I'm taking a cheese course right now. We sampled the stuff in our discussion on analogue cheeses. We also sampled rice cheese. Both are revolting and could probably be used for biological warfare. But then, looking fabulous has a price. personally, I'd rather do without.

3. andrew563

andrew563

If soy cheese is anything like soy milk, it has too be horrible. Everytime I get an order for a soy latte, it smells awful. And the people ordering it just don't look happy with the world.

4. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    My nomination for best line of the day. Thanks.