Southern View

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by svadhisthana, Jun 7, 2001.

1. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

I don't have a yard (live in an apartment) but, I have wonderful Southern exposure on my deck. Which herbs/plants would grow best(in pots) in this environment? I was thinking maybe tomatoes(roma) and some herbs. I tried growing from seed,but my 2 year old did a little "gardening" of his own and they didn't make it. I'm going to just buy from the farmers market and transplant. Thanks in advance for any tips. :)

2. papa

papa

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Dear Svadhisthana:

When I lived in Athens, Greece, I was in an appartment as well. I found that I could grow almost anything in pots.

Remember that some herbs get leggy in rich soil which results in a woody look. Keep your herbs trimmed while they are green. The more you cut and use them in your cooking the better they look. Because we eat herbs a lot of times raw and we wash them just with water, do not use fertilezer or any chemicals.

Basil does great in pots, rosemary, thyme, lemon thyme, sage, ... . In Greece every house has a basil pot on a window. It is a tradition and it is believed to bring good luck. Rosemary is a good method to control unwanted insect concentration. It is for that reason that during the First World War, they kept rosemary pots in military hospitals in Europe.

3. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Thank you, Papa. I will keep that in mind. I was planning on growing basil, it's one of my favorite herbs.

Should each herb have it's own pot or can they share soil? (for example, half basil/half cilantro)

4. papa

papa

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Dear Svadhisthana:

I always mix herbs in pots.

Remember that your edible garden can also look beutiful. I always combine different shapes, heights and colors. You will need to control their growth by trimming them (as you use them in your kitchen) so that the most vigorous ones do not overpower the other ones.

In my garden in France I used rosemary, sage (it has the most beautiful blue flowers) and lavender for borders. Lemon thyme (a favorite one of mine mixed in drained yoghyrt) in rock creations, and so on...

Just use your imagination, know that you will make mistakes in the beggining (we all did!) and enjoy the end result!

:)

5. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Thank you again, Papa for the wonderful advice and such a quick response time. I'm so lucky to have a wonderful source of information at my disposal. I will keep you updated as my "garden" grows.

6. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Thank You Margaret,
    That is good advice. I am much more concerned with flavor than appearance. Unfortunately our deck overlooks the parkinglot, so any greenery will be a refreshing change of scenery. I can't wait to get started, I think I'll head out this weekend for plants. :D