South Africa ear on the ground.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
Hello everyone.

I've been in the site for about(just checked and holy shit) 9 years now. Things have been great in china for the last decade but I am thinking of moving on after my next business venture. Its been an adventure but I feel like moving on.

Recently I've been thinking things over and due certain circumstances I might end up moving to South Africa inside of 5 years. Its just a possibility so far, but I might as well start thinking it over and getting info. Mexican/Latina American food sounds like an amazing fit with what I know about South African food(but I know almost nothing about it, so I am looking to get educated here).

Whats up over there?
How are the restaurants doing?
Hows the outlook when things stabilize again?
I've been looking into things and the restaurants doing Mexican food looks like they are doing tex-mex at the most if I am not mistaken, would that be accurate?
Are there any reasons as to why I am not finding any kind of authentic Mexican food?
How's was the acceptance for latinamerican/mexican food before the virus?
Pretoria/Johannesburg/Cape Town good places to set up?

So I am here looking for people on the ground restaurant-wise. Casual chat to get to know the real situation from a practical standpoint and I would love to visit later this or the next year. I am very very ignorant on the real situation over there so I am sorry for dumb questions but there will be a lot of those.

I don't really trust most of the info I find online and I am not sure that I've been looking into the best possible sources, so some pointers there would be very very apreciated.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I'm close to South Africa (Zambia), but not in SA. It's quite different from us as far as I know.
I could check with some South Africans that I know in Zam, but I would need some specific questions...

In general: Grilled food (braai) is popular, but mainly done at home gatherings.
Curries and bunnie chow as well, esp in the Durban area.
Mexican? I don't know.

The situation in the big cities is very different from the (sometimes very conservative) rural areas

Joined Nov 27, 2012
I'm close to South Africa (Zambia), but not in SA. It's quite different from us as far as I know.
I could check with some South Africans that I know in Zam, but I would need some specific questions...

In general: Grilled food (braai) is popular, but mainly done at home gatherings.
Curries and bunnie chow as well, esp in the Durban area.
Mexican? I don't know.

The situation in the big cities is very different from the (sometimes very conservative) rural areas
that would be great of you. Honestly I have very little information as a whole but definitely we would be targeting the big cities.

Ideally I would love some info on housing, rental, equipment and restaurant startup costs over there. Any big city would do just to start getting and idea of how things work.

Ideally someone in the industry so I could learn from their experience. But if they aren't any experience opening a business over there would do as there must be some common points.

My mail is [email protected] so if you could put us in touch that would be awesome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom