Sous vide vs oil poaching

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I've noticed that traditional confit recipes use a lot of salt, while modern sous vide ones use much less. But what about other spices? I have a confit recipe that has a dry rub cure in advance of the confit oil bath. Any thoughts on how to scale this down for sous vide use?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I think you could get a starting point estimate by the reduction of fat. Use that same ratio of reduction to the seasoning. Then maybe add back for the sous vide loss. At least I find I have to overseason sousvide for what is lost to the rendered juices in sous vide.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
But the reduction in fat is colossal! I mean, if you do 3-4 duck legs the old way, it takes about 4 cups of duck fat, sometimes more, depending on your pan and your duck legs. If you do it in an immersion circulator, you just need a couple of tablespoons.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I know. That's all stuff you don't have to account for absorbing seasoning though. It probably isn't linear for all ingredients. Salt doesn't dissolve in oil so that shouldnt be reduced as much I think.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Just did a back-of-the-envelope calculation, and actually, that makes perfect sense. The salt I'll have to guess a bit, obviously, but yes, the spice reduction seems about right done that way. Thanks!

Top Bottom