Sous vide rump roast and broth

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rpooley, Apr 10, 2019.

1. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    First of all, I think this has been covered here in a thread before (which I can't find now) but I wanted to try this. There's not a ton of recipes/guides for rump roast sous vide that I can find. Tips?

Also, in general, can you add a cup of liquid to a sous vide roast to get a broth for some gravy? Or is that bad for sanitation/bacteria? My guess is 'no gravy'.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    You know that grayish coagulated protien from cooking hamburgers that sometimes forms in the pan? Sous vide liquid has quite a bit of that dissolved protein in it at the end of cooking. When you start to boil the liquid, that all coagulates out of suspension. So you end up discarding a certain amount of that liquid anyway.

The other thing I've noticed is that the liquid is salty. I find I have to oversalt sous vide somewhat for what the surface gives up to the rendered liquid.

I've used liqiud from sous vide for sauce --usually poultry-- but its not always as straight forward as it appears at first.

3. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    As long as it has a sufficient fat ratio, it should be fine. If you are making the gravy from a roux, the heat in the pan should be sufficient to take care of any bacteria, if that is what you are asking.

If you don't do this already, save the fat from your steaks, chops and poultry. Store the fat in the freezer for just such an occasion. When you need fat to render for gravy, viola! :)

Good luck. :)

4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The liquid in the bag isn't worth keeping. If you make your own beef stock I would use that for gravy or au jus. In most cases with these kinds of roasts I will cook at 131 for 24 hrs. This give me nice red cooked top to bottom appearance. The tougher the roast the longer the cook. If you slice the roasts thin you'll never have a problem. I don't go over 131 for any roast. I just adjust the cooking time to get the tenderness I want to achieve.....Good Luck.....ChefBillyB

5. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I bought a standing rib roast yesterday. About 4 lbs. I usually do steaks 127 F for 2 hours. Top round 8 hours at 127. Any suggestions on rib roast.

6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The only time I go under 131 is for steaks and fish. If I'm doing a roast it always at 131 if it's over a two hour period. I would do the Rib Roast for 6 to 8 hrs and 131.

7. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I did this venison roast the other day at 130F for 24hrs. and it was very tender and has excellent flavor. I made a jus from the bag liquor too it was delicious.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 11:32 PM
  8. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You can make a jus or gravy from the sous vide juices, absolutely.

If you've season your meat before sous viding, the liquid might be a little salty, just FYI. But you can easily use that liquid. You can BTB and strain off the proteins (the sous vide temp doesn't get hot enough to coagulate the proteins in the jus) for a better appearance.

Chef Steps has a pretty decent video about making a pan sauce with the sous vide liquid. It seems like it might help.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/simple-sous-vide-steak-with-red-wine-sauce