Sous Vide re-heating question

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by alvin chang, Dec 4, 2013.

1. alvin chang

alvin chang

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I have been reading about sous vide cooking for a while now and I have a question in regarding re-heating. We all know sous vide cooking takes much longer than regular cooking methods. For example, I have a big piece of pork tenderloin that requires 3 hrs in sous vide. I assume in a restaurant setting we would cook it in advance, chill, and re-heat when customer orders it. From all the books that I have been reading, we put the pork back in the water bath until the core temp reaches again for re-heating. However, it would take about an hour to do so. Is there any other way to re-heat so we can serve it right away?

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I think you're missing the point of sous vide.   It's not a reheater, you can reheat in a microwave perfectly fine.  The point of sous vide is for getting your proteins up to the absolute correct temperature without losing moisture.  You can use sous vide to hold your pork loin for service and it won't get overcooked.

So either cook your pork in individual portions without much treatment, basically plain, then remove and finish it, or do it backwards.   Sear it with salt, pepper, or whatever rub you want, add herbs if you desire, brown it, then sous vide to temp for service.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. alacarte

alacarte

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    thats right what kuan said.. we do lots of things sous vide at my restuarant, alot for the flavour, and also consistency.. ex. we do our eye fillets so they come out just under med rare and in a busy service you just need to sear the crust and let it rest for a perfect steak everytime 

4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How is Sous Vide used for Prime Rib orders in Restaurants ?????????

5. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Eye Fillet is Australian for filet mignon (or a cut that comes from the tenderloin)

6. alacarte

alacarte

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    yes comes from the loin, cut the tail end off and keep for small kids steak portions, use the powder glue and roll the rest of the sirloin into a nice round shape

7. pirate-chef

pirate-chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    in the restaurant right now 90 percent of the cooking is sous vide. depending on the protien and needed cooking times we break it down to reasonable sizes vac it and cook it to the time and temp that we need it for texture etc then ice bath, and set aside. when everything is the proper size you can have it ready to serve very fast. 

8. alvin chang

alvin chang

Exp:
    Line Cook
    How do you reheat for service? Just sear them or put them back in the water bath?

9. pirate-chef

pirate-chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    for service most of our first courses are not based on the sous vide so when a ticket comes i drop something back into the water. duck breast for instance i drop in the water then when its ordered it goes into a pan to finish the skin and off it goes. it has been cooked for 3 hours before to get it as tender as i want. for service i run the water bath at a lower temperature than my usual cooking temps so that i never overcook and i can handle multiple protiens. everything has been portioned and most cooked to the perfect time and tenderness before. the only thing right now not pre cooked is my dry aged beef and im just dropping it in for the center to get warm but searing it hard keeping it somewhere around a rare but warm throughout. does this make sense? the way you portion things makes a big difference. if items are thinner you can even have them frozen and reheated in the water to order with no loss of quality. 

10. pirate-chef

pirate-chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    so yes sorry to ramble in the short everything is reheated in the water at a temp below its origonal cooking temp so there is no chance to overcook then seared for texture and looks. 

11. alvin chang

alvin chang

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Yes, it all makes sense to me now. Many thanks!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

12. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    What temperature on the duck breast?  What color is it coming out of the bag?

13. pirate-chef

pirate-chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have been cooking them at 57c for about 3-3.5 hours to break them down a little then reheating at 57 also. i score the fat and sear it off so its perfect and after resting its still pink and beautiful. honestly i wouldnt change this method we have developed it on this dish and im really happy. if you give me your e mail i can show you pictures. 

14. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    So score first?  The fat renders at 57 celcius I assume?

15. pirate-chef

pirate-chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    it renders some yes. and i prefer to wait until right befor searing to score. i cook 3 hours, ice bath fridge or freeze and reheat o order. once they are warm through( try timing one so you have an idea for service) open the bag, ( there is a lot of fat and jus good to save ) score it quickly face down in a hot pan and i tilt it on something so the fat can run off downhill. i let it go until the skin is perfect, roll it over give it maybe 30 seconds while basting so the bottom has some color. rest a couple of min and slice 

16. alvin chang

alvin chang

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Do you use the fat and jus in the bag for pan sauce or something?

17. beckymckinley

beckymckinley

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I would love to have a picture of the duck.  I am working on a high end Christmas party.  I am a caterer and I would love to do duck breast and short ribs.  Any tips of pictures would be appreciated.  This is new for me!

18. hookedcook

hookedcook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have a question, braised slow cook items (short ribs, pork butt, pot roast, lamb shanks  ect...), is there a reason to sous vide those or any benefit??  I understand the reason for all the other proteins.  I personally have never done it but I think I can convince the owner of the boat to buy a machine me but I have to give him reasons to buy one.  Do you just use a regular food saver bags or do you have to buy certain fancy bags and machines?

19. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    For reheating it makes sense for me.  For initial cooking it's all about getting the correct texture.  A low slow sous vide cook will give you a different texture than a slow braise.  But it takes a long time, like up to twelve hours.

20. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sous vide ribs.....finished on the bbq grill......It all depends on the item you want to reheat. I make meatloaf Sous vide and pop it under the broiler to get some browning on the top.