Chef Forum banner

Sous Vide Prep

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  drewmorgen 
#1 ·
does this work: (I'm trying to cut down on cooking time for a dinner party) 

1) Day 1: cook the salmon sous vide the night before 

2) Day1: put it in an ice bath

3) Day 2: Sear and let it sit out on a tray at room temp

4) Day 2: a few hours later bring to temp @ 400 degrees in the oven. serve 

#2 · (Edited)
What time/temp are you planning to cook the salmon? If you're not going to cook to pasteurization temps I'd be really concerned about that second day sitting on a tray at room temp.

If it were me I'd portion and bag the salmon the day before, keep it in the fridge until it was time to go into the bath, and go straight from the bath to a pan sear.

#4 ·
Good grief....are you really saving time or just showing your guests your hip new technique?

Salmon is one of the quickest entrees out there.

Get it seasoned and ready and once everybody is there and enjoying drinks slip into the kitchen and stick in the oven.

Better yet have them into the kitchen to plate salads.

mimi

#5 · (Edited)
Why not reverse sear to start.. vacuum seal.. and then go into the immersion circulator to bring to serving temp? If you really want to cut down on the steps you can do the sear and pack the night before, then go into refrigeration until 3-4 hrs before you have guests at which time you just put into your water bath.

#7 ·
I'm not sure at all what you're trying to do here. I'm not sure why you would sous vide salmon to pasteurization temps, and I'm not sure how throwing pre bagged salmon in the bath day of is a big deal when it only takes a minute. If you really want to avoid cooking day of you could try the chefsteps salmon mi cuit and serve it cold. I'm just confused here.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the suggestions. The issue here is this is one of 5 courses. I don't have the time to babysit, so i'm trying to simplify this course.
I still think sous vide is perfect for such a situation.. but that you need to have it ready to plate from the time you take it from the water bath. So seasoning and searing up front, then finishing in the water bath seems like it would provide what you need. You'd be able to go from bag to plate. In any event a test run would be ideal.

#12 ·
I might add that you may run the risk of overcooking the salmon.

Once finished in the Sous Vide process, how well is it cooked?

I prefer my salmon medium rare so this is an example of what flipflopgirl was saying.
Assuming he doesn't go past the "done-ness" in temp the water bath with will bring it up to a perfect consistency. If you have a perfect temp for your salmon.. you can set that and the immersion circulator will nail it.. all your proteins will not only hit that temp.. you can hold them there for hours.

#14 ·
Assuming he doesn't go past the "done-ness" in temp the water bath with will bring it up to a perfect consistency. If you have a perfect temp for your salmon.. you can set that and the immersion circulator will nail it.. all your proteins will not only hit that temp.. you can hold them there for hours.
I agree, but perhaps my concern was more for the health and safety end of it.

The salmon is sealed and vacuumed in a pouch, then Sous Vide to medium rare.

If said portion is removed from the package and left out, would this be a concern, now that it is under cooked and subject to bacterial growth?.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. The issue here is this is one of 5 courses. I don't have the time to babysit, so i'm trying to simplify this course.
So hire someone for the kitchen.

Or cut back on the number of courses.

A dinner party host is MIA a few times....just how it goes....nature of the beast and all that.

If you have chosen a good mix of guests they will survive without you.

All that manipulation and hot and cold and then getting a nice color then back in the oven to come to temp.....THAT is a disaster waiting to happen.

Makes me weary just reading about it.

All IMO of course.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

mimi

#17 · (Edited)
So hire someone for the kitchen.

Or cut back on the number of courses.

A dinner party host is MIA a few times....just how it goes....nature of the beast and all that.

If you have chosen a good mix of guests they will survive without you.

All that manipulation and hot and cold and then getting a nice color then back in the oven to come to temp.....THAT is a disaster waiting to happen.

Makes me weary just reading about it.

All IMO of course.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

mimi
Did I mention I had the flu and ignored it ( ahhh I have about 30 years medical experience under my belt...just give me a couple bottles of NyQuil...)

Did I mention that I have pneumonia?

Lol...go get a flu shot y'all.....being sick and snarky only gets you left to your own devices...which in my case is a couple cans of chix noodle soup and a can opener I cannot figure out how to use.

m.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.