Sous vide mashed potatoes

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I'm thinking of doing this for Thanksgiving, so any advice or warnings are much appreciated.

As many of you know, Heston Blumenthal worked out that pre-cooking potatoes at 72C/161F for 30 minutes stabilizes the starch and improves the texture of mashed potatoes or pommes purées greatly. He has a recipe (in his At Home book) in which you cook the potatoes at this temperature 30 minutes, rinse in cool water 30 minutes, then boil until falling apart, then dry for a bit in a low heat pan and mix in lots of butter. One advantage is that you can do all this a couple of days ahead, chill, store, then to serve sieve, reheat gently, and beat in warm milk.

It occurred to me you should be able to do this in a water bath. Put the potatoes in a bag with a little water, cook sous vide at the desired temperature, rinse well, then out in a fresh bag with the butter and cook at 90C/194F for a while. Remove bag and chill. Reheat as before.

Anyone see problems with this?

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I've done it before, honestly it wasn't worth all the effort. It's ok in a restaurant setting where you want to make stuff in bulk ahead of time, or are after a slightly better/different texture than you could otherwise achieve. If you are expecting it to blow your mind or something I think you'll be bummed.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
I second someday, I have tried this method and it's not worth it.

A much simpler way is to sous vide everything you want in your mashed potatoes together @ 185°F for a couple of hours, then mash and serve.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Seems like way more work than it is worth. Can't see the end product being that much better, if at all, than well made mashed potatoes done the "regular" way.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
The main reason is that I don't have a huge amount of space, so the more I can do ahead or off to one side, the better.

Thanks all, I'll think about it.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I mean, the technique has merit if you are after a couple things you can't normally do with "regular" mashed or pureed potatoes. Retrograding the starch means that you can even use a blender or a thermomix to emulsify gobs of butter and create an ultra smooth texture. This works well if you are doing a tasting menu format where everyone gets a few tablespoons of potato...good way to wow people.

But for Thanksgiving? Not so much...I think your goals of saving time, space and energy aren't really worth it OP.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
After much consideration and further research I'm going to try a slightly modified version. I'll let you know how it goes.

Top Bottom