Sous Vide Eggs - Pickup

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by peter1234, Mar 8, 2017.

1. peter1234

How is everybody picking up their sous vide eggs for service.

I have little brunch/breakfast experience and have opened up the restaurant recently to include brunch.

I'm sous vide the eggs at 63 for 40 minutes then shocking them in ice bath after testing/eating an egg or two.

I'm holding them in a tank at 58 during service.

For pickup I'm cracking them into a deli container and dropping them in a small pot with boiling water for ~30 seconds to a minute, to firm up the white.

Problems I'm noticing with this method:

1. Pot needs to be constantly changed out as the water gets filled with loose egg whites

2. Eggs are coming out either "under" looking with loose egg whites or well done

How can I control this better besides telling the cook to stand there and not moving from the pot.

I've attempted to take the eggs out of the sous vide tank and dropping them in boiling water for 30 seconds to firm up the egg white.

That resulted in the egg white sticking to the shell and having to peel it.

Any tricks/tips you all may have would be much appreciated.

2. capecodchef

We found that sous vide eggs just aren't worth the bother for production breakfast service. It is much simpler to keep a water and vinegar bath simmering on the stove and poach to order. Only takes 3 minutes for the perfect poached egg.
  3. someday

I don't understand why you are re-poaching the eggs in a pot after you've sous vided them, unless you think your customers won't go for them straight out of the shell after SV.

You might try increasing your time on the sous vide by about 20 mins. I find that an hour in the water bath firms up the yolks just a bit, and seems to make them easier to peel. 

You should also strain off the loose white before you serve. I imagine that this loose white stuff is what is clouding up your poaching liquid. You'll notice that if you crack an egg on say, a counter or in a bowl, you'll have a firmer part of the white and a loose, watery part of the white. This looser part should be strained off before service (or in your case, further cooking). 

My advice is to get a slotted spoon or a strainer and crack your egg onto that. You might explore something along the lines of pre-cracking and storing your eggs that way (like a lot of brunch places do by pre-poaching eggs before service and holding in ice water or water). 

But yeah, that loose white is almost certainly what is clouding up your poaching water. 

Personally, I would just go straight from the egg shell to the strainer to the plate...