Sous Vide Ballotine

Joined Dec 14, 2018
I am looking for advice on type of film to use for a ballotine to cook SV.
Im UK based and having difficulty knowing what sort of film to buy as many of the websites are USA based- Im not able to tell what "plastic wrap" is, what is safe, what is not.
Should I use PVC free?
Any suggestions as to makes that I can buy in UK very welcome.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I think plastic wrap translates as cling film most commonly?

The low temps of sous vide negate reasonable concerns about plastic chemical transfer that are higher temp processes.

Joined May 28, 2015
I think plastic wrap translates as cling film most commonly?

The low temps of sous vide negate reasonable concerns about plastic chemical transfer that are higher temp processes.

I'm in the UK too. Yes cling film is the UK word for plastic wrap. I agree regarding the temperatures. But (this may be obvious) it wouldn't be a good idea to sous vide in clingfilm alone as water could penetrate. I use clingfilm and then vacuum pack the cling film wrapped ballotine.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Any plastic wrap is fine. It's also wrapped in plastic when traditionally made without the sous vide.

Joined May 5, 2010
Now I'm curious. I want to make a duck Ballotine and was wondering if I could wrap the duck in cheesecloth, tie it, then submerge it in chicken stock to simmer with the Sous Vide machine in the stock.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
You might gunk up the circulator/heater. To do that put it in a bag of the stock itself.

Top Bottom