sourdough starter

Joined Dec 10, 2002
Hello, I am a new member to this forum. My name is Stacey Klaff, and I attend a culinary school in Phoenix, Arizona. It's called the Art Institute of Phoenix. Anyway, I was interested in knowing if anyone can tell me how to make a sourdough starter. My family is in love with sourdough bread, and I would love to know how to make it. I know that it's probably time-consuming, but I just happen to have a break coming up from school, and would have plenty of time to "test" it out. I would appreciate any input anyone could give me. Thank you!:p :p

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Opinions vary. Some say to take a flour and water sponge and leave it out to collect the natural yeast of your area. Others use wines and beers to start with those yeasts. And others use a standard bread dough sponge and let it sour/age.

Ask around, you'll find someone with a starter who will share some with you and teach its finer points of care and feeding.

Phil

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Checkout Glezer's book called ARTISAN BAKING ACROSS AMERICA. In it are several methods for making a sourdough starter and I used her method successfully.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Welcome to Chef Talk, pastrychef18! When you get a chance, please stop by the Welcome Forum and post an introduction there.

Top Bottom