Soungy doughnuts

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by jaygee, Oct 26, 2017.

1. jaygee

jaygee

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hey fellow Tastebuds (taken from house of carbs podcast)

I've been making yeast doughnuts for a while now, my flavours are on point and I have my client list growing very fast. However I'm not satisfied with my finished product yet and I've been racking my brain over an issue which I hope you guys could help with.

Sponginess/springiness - My dough is a bit dense/heavy after I let it cool. I've adjusted my recipe and added some water, and extra eggs and I believe the water will add steam when cooking which will rise the donuts and the eggs will add structure to the gluten. I changed this up yesterday and it did make the doughnuts much lighter.. however.. the next day (10 hours later) they were still a bit denser than I had hoped. I bit into the doughnut and the dough didn't bounce back as I had hoped. it stayed closed for a bit and slowly bounced back. The gluten strands didn't look like they were fully formed. Any ideas?

Cheers!

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Just for clarification.... when you reference the tooth of your dough are you talking raw or cooked off?
    For being such a simple treat donuts give almost everyone fits.
    I see a lot of questions on unhappy with how the dough holds.
    Just IME ... donuts are meant to be eaten almost ala minute.
    Take glazed... the best and only true way to buy and eat is when that fresh tray hits the front counter.
    Yeah yeah the micro will do a sweet job of "freshening" but still.....

mimi

3. dueh

dueh

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    the doughnuts I make have a moderate amount of yeast, with a fairly wet dough( around 70% hydration). We give it a series of folds to slowly develop the gluten and make it a bit easier to work with. But once that last fold is done they need to be cut quickly, and then rested only around 15 minutes then they are ready to fry.

How hot is your fryer?

4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef

As someone who made donuts for a living, I can empathize with your debacle, however; that being said, the only great donuts are just a few moments old.
    Quality and texture start to degrade after a mere 4 hours.
    Your "10 hours later" is now a stale product.

fatcook and flipflopgirl like this.