Souffle Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by fdm, Jan 4, 2010.

1. fdm

fdm

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi, new here and was hoping maybe someone could share a recipe for simple savory (i.e., cheese) souffle. I had one that an acquantance made and thoroughly enjoyed it and thought about making one myself, but am reluctant to attempt it because it seems difficult to have it turn out successful. Thought that if anyone could help, this was the best place to ask. Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The Joy of Cooking is the one I use the most for a soufflé.

Here's the 1931 edition for soufflé. The technique really hasn't changed.

K-State Libraries - Rare Books - Cookery: Irma von Starkloff Rombauer (1931)

The current version is essentially twice that amount of ingredients. Or at least I double it feed my family so I might be remembering it as twice the ingredients.

One tweak in technique is that now most will butter the sides and bottom of the cooking vessel, then add grated parmesan cheese. Tilt so the cheese sticks to the butter everywhere evenly and pour out the excess. The souffle climbs the dry cheese and releases well plus picks up some flavor from the parmesan.

Phil

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If you're looking for easy then try a savoury bread pudding. It's no-fail.

- butter
    - white sandwich bread,, crusts trimmed
    - gruyere cheese
    - 10 large eggs
    - 3.5 cup whole milk
    - thyme
    - dry mustard
    - salt/pepper

1. Generously butter a 13x9x2 baking dish.
    2. Line the bottom with bread slices, cutting to fit.
    3. Top with cheese
    4. Add more bread in a single layer to cover.
    5. Whisk eggs, milk, thyme, mustard, and s/p. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    6. Bake at 350 until puffed and golden. Sprinkle with cheese and then bake until melted.

Variations - I like to add ham, and mushrooms sometimes, and you can mix different cheeses. Serve hot.

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    There are a few good tips you might want to look at before you make it. I try never to overthink a souffle but it is always good to know basic techniques.
    http://www.baking911.com/howto/souffle.htm

There are many recipes out there, once you have made a basic recipe , you can do so much with them.

5. fdm

fdm

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thank you all for your advise. I knew I came to the right place.