Soon to be Culinary Student, ready to take this plunge.

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by smackthepony33, Aug 3, 2010.

1. smackthepony33

smackthepony33

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I've been out of school for a couple years now, studying music over at EMU. I left because I realised that I had no idea what I was going to do with a degree in music, besides play in a couple bands (which I already do) for free drinks and a little pocket change. Right now I've been working at a Whole Foods in Ann Arbor, MI and been enjoying it to a point. The problem is, I feel like my life is pretty stagnant. I have been back and forth on what I really want to do next with my life. I was looking at business programs, IT (i know, it doesn't make much sense to me, either), even an apprenticeship for the UA, as well as culinary arts. I guess it was a great period on reflection and such. The more I stay at Whole Foods, the more passion for good food made well i seem to gain. 

I went through a few life changes recently, and seeing as I am not where I want to be, I feel like this would be the best idea for me. I'm pretty damn excited about the prospect of changing my life around. A couple years ago, I actually tried to go to CHIC, but the money, econmy, and housing arrangements just weren't lined up and I had to back out. Now, I live pretty close to Schoolcraft College. I'm about a 15-20 minute drive away from that place. I feel like that's my best place to really start and go for an associate's. I have heard nothing but great things about their program. It's not quite like the CIA or Le Cordon Bleu, but it is one of the nation's more well regarded programs. Does anyone have any insight to offer about Schoolcraft, and possibly any advice for me while I start this (probably crazy) adventure?

Thanks in advance for anything! I'll keep up on things as I progress through.

-Bill

2. zane

zane

Exp:
    Other
    Not sure about that program but the advice I can give to you is try to get a job in a kitchen, you won't start high but as a commis you'll learn the trade. You could do both school and work in a kitchen if you plan your courses right.

3. titomike

titomike

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Zane's got the I idea...

You want to work in a kitchen you go to work in a kitchen and find out...first.

Then sharpen up your skills on your own time and you get to go to work and see how they want you to apply them, apply them and get paid!

a sensible, dollar each way investment in 'I wanna be a Chef' to begin with.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/smiles.gif