Something "fancy" with ground beef?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Nov 10, 2017.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok so we're having friends over tomorrow and stores are closed. My wife is making potatoes au gratin and all I have in the meat dept is ground beef patties in the freezer. They're really really good ground beef though, from local organic dairy calves.

I could simply cook the beef patties as is or I could doctor up something a little fancier... only WHAT??? I can't think of anything.

Well actually the only thing I can think of is keftedes.... any other ideas?

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Meatloaf. Good, old-fashioned, American meatloaf!

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Kibbe, but not sure about that with au gratin

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Giant meatballs!

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A couple of years ago I won the ground meat challenge by making Meatloaf Wellington. I'm sure you have puff pastry in your freezer and all the other ingredients are pantry staples. The meatloaf itself has to be precooked, undercooked a little, but make sure there is a crust on it. Let it cool completely before you wrap it in the pastry. Can be made a day ahead and then wrapped in pastry the day off. I served it with a beef based mushroom gravy.

Here's a link to that mince challenge, you may find more ideas there https://cheftalk.com/threads/march-2015-challenge-mince.84986/

If you still want to do meatballs consider doing a greek/turkish dish called soudzoukakia (greek) or Izmir kofte (turkish). They are oblong shaped meatballs poached in tomato sauce. I can give you my mom's recipe if you're interested otherwise there are lots of recipes online. They are very aromatic with spices like cinammon and clove etc, making them a really nice seasonal dish.

Personally, I don't think there is anything better than spaghetti bolognese but I'm simple.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  6. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Really good meatloaf with potatoes au gratin and a nice salad is hard to beat. My only concern is that there are people (my parents are among them) who would sneer at being served meatloaf. (I know: they actually told the story about that time they went to a close friend's house and were served meatloaf, and clearly they expected everyone hearing the story to be equally disdainful.) If they're not that sort, then I'd go for it. Just do it carefully so it's as good as it deserves to be. I'd make a homemade tomato sauce rather than ketchup, though.

7. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You could also do Swedish-style meatballs, which are equally excellent with potatoes. I don't know if that seems fancier?

8. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ya,we all have family...

Best part of meatloaf, though, is the next-day sandwich!

flipflopgirl likes this.
  9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok great thanks for all the ideas, koftas sound like a great one.

10. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    How about skip the gratin and use the potatoes for Cottage Pie?

11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well thanks all. I was all set to make koftas... little onions, little garlic, cumin, paprika, oregano....

Turns out the butcher was open! So I got a lamb shoulder and made a marinade out of olive oil, harissa, cumin, ras al hanout and paprika and roasted it on top of a bed of halved small onions. It was outstanding but I wish I had taken it out of the oven 10mn earlier.