Some sort of dipping....sauce?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by aldumil, Jun 19, 2011.

1. aldumil

aldumil

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey there. I have been working on refineing my energy bar recipe for the last few days. Thus far it looks like this:

-10 large soft dates, pitted, chopped up
    -couple cups of organic peanut butter (haven't nailed down the exact amount I need to use yet)
    -maple syrup as much as you like (also trying with honey instead of syrup)

dump all that in a double boiler, and mix it up over medium heat until the consistency is smooth. then you have your dry ingredients:

-one cup shelled pistachios, chopped up
    -cup of other nuts and seeds like almonds, sunflower seeds, etc
    -cup of dried fruit (cranberry, blueberry, apricot, candied ginger), chopped as necessary
    -cup of hemp hearts

They are super tasty and filling and filled with energy. Basically they meet all the goals I set for them. The only other thing I would like for them to do is to be able to exist at room temperature without turning into a gooey mess. Perhaps dip them in something? I'm not sure. I would also like the keep the overall theme of 'healthiness' going, so that kinda eliminates all the options I had thought of that are easy (the ways the store bought energy bars are).

2. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    almond bark maybe or carob to coat...maybe add some toasted oats to soak up the syrup, which i personally think you should sub for agave or an organic honey.....just a few thoughts

joey

3. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I think maybe using some maltodextrin in the filling might be in order. Does a good job "drying" up oils and syrups. It also seems to be a big nutritional supplement, so there is that too.

4. aldumil

aldumil

Exp:
    At home cook

I actually did switch to honey on this last batch I made. I was looking at the almond bark and similar products at the store, but I think using that would add an unacceptable amount of sugars to each 'bar'. I might just try it once to see how much it takes to coat each bar and actually calculate the numbers afterwords.

It seems I may have to just compromise, either deal with having to keep them frozen and not being able to take them anywhere. Or suck it up and add more sugars/calories than I was aiming for.