some of the stranger sandstone I've seen

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by phatch, Oct 21, 2012.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Living and traveling in Utah and the southwest, I've seen a lot of sandstone.

This weekend, this was some of the strangest I've seen. Pretty, but not the prettiest. But probably some of the weirdest.

This is a "soft sediment" deformation so it's particularly twisted and tortured.  There's also crossbedding, where the sand is laid down in different directions over time. So the result is pretty wild stuff.

This next one has the strata layers shifted up and down from each other in random slices. This is maybe 3 feet of stone from left to right.

They refer to this as "polygonal cracks" but lots of people call it "brain rock" where it's cracked and convoluted on itself. This particular pic is more rhythmic and parallel, but cool.

2. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Fantastic Phatch!

I find rock and stone formation fascinating, I think I went into the wrong line of work.  My husband thinks I'm just weird,

or as Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory calls them,

'those dirt people'.

3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That is amazing. Reminds me of some of the star trek episodes which I believe were filmed out there.