Some men, you just can't reach...

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by prairiechef, Jun 5, 2010.

1. prairiechef

prairiechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's hard work, yes... but it's not brain surgery. Sometimes, it seems that there are those in this business that should be, I dunno, sorting coloured gravel for fish tanks or something.

I have one cook who is honestly retrogressing (is that a word? if not, it is for my purposes :) ) in his abilities, and I am hampered by labour laws, and the "verbal, written, written, fired" rule that my company adheres to. Frustrating as hell. It would be nice to be able to say "get the hell out, and learn to mud drywall", but i simply can't. So I have to wait. "Coach him" (again) on how to make a friggin' Panini. Wait a while for him to "have a chance to improve". Then continue the process.

I wonder, often, why people who have no love for food get into this business. Is it a case of "I can't do anything else"? Or "I dropped out of high school and have no options"? But it seems to me that the business is lousy with clockpunchers.

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I feel your pain. Just reading your letter made my blood pressure go up a couple notches.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

there is a surprising amount of people who have no love for cooking in culinary school... what surprises me even more is the lack of love for food...

4. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    but panini's are so complicated,, they have , like, a top slice of bread and a bottom, not to mention all those ...things... that go inside./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I'll never forget one time I was "prep" and lunch cook for a place. The hours were great, the pay ok and the work heavy enough to keep me busy without driving me crazy. Once I was so swamped (3 different groups of the Red Hat Society at once, some 120 people in 30 minutes and just me on the line) that I wasn't able to get quite all the prep done. So when the evening line cook came in I said "hey man, your gonna need to to trim up some chicken breasts for tonight." he sneers at me and says" I didn't leave my job at Arby's to become some b**ch of a prep cook. what happened? You get more then 5 people in for lunch today?."

luckily for him, the Chef heard him say it.  She turned to me and said"go get a beer then clock off."

guess who was in working next to me the next day learning how to prep all that food.  he literally started crying saying"he was a cook and didn't need to know how to make pesto or butcher a tenderloin for Filet Mignon, that was B**ch work. I think my eyes rolled so far back in my head I bruised my brain.

5. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gunnar.. that's a great story!   Too bad so sad for the guy huh?  I bet he never pulled that kind of attitude again. 

Sadly clockpunchers exist in every business and sometimes it seems we have more of them than dedicated workers and that totally stinks.

Prarie Chef, I feel your pain... I have had to (and still do ) have to deal with some clockpunchers and it is super frustrating.  These guys turn up on time (most of the time) and do the bare minimum amount of work and always seem to be doing something when you look at them but at the end of the day they have accomplished very little.  We've cut their shifts and with their menality they see it as more days off instead of a warning sign.  If this keeps up with them, even though one of them is a damn good closer they will be out the door permanently. 

Sorry to hijack your thread but I was super frustrated with clockpunchers today...

I was working crepe station and for the record I HATE everything about the station and while I can do it very well and run the crepe and lunch board at the same time.. I hate the station.. it is messy and goopy and honestly my apron was crusty after a day on crepes.  Not my idea of a good time but it is part of my job so I sucked it up and ran the station.   I ran out of sliced strawberries and no one had any on the line so I asked the clockpuncher to slice two flats of berries.  He proceeded to pull a couple of flats and wash one, then go and visit with the dishwashers.  In the meantime I got slammed with orders that needed sliced berries and I had no time to slice as I went so I called out rather loudly " hey Bob, were are my sliced strawberries.. I need 750ml of them for an order right now on the fly!" He ran back to the prep table and did them but as soon as they were done he was slacking again.  I don't get the mentality of people who feel they are entitled to a paycheck.. last time I checked wages were earned not a given right. 

Ok vent over...

6. joshua47

joshua47

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Haha, wow, Gunnar. That guy needed more of a reality check than that, but it's a good start! As a chef of mine has said, sometimes it's two hours past closing on the worst night ever and the dishes still need to be done. What're you going to do? Wash the damn dishes. Your title means nothing when things need to get done.

Actually, in a way, your title means everything when things need to get done. The way I see it, the higher you are in any job, the more responsibilities you have. Is dish washing cooking? No. Is it a part of the kitchen? You bet your ass. So if it needs to get done and you're the only one able to do it right then, shut your mouth and do your work.

Complaining about prep is even worse, though! That's directly part of the process of making a meal. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

7. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A dishwasher is one of the most valuable assets to a kitchen.....and who is doing all the prep? hmmmmmmmmm

I have lent myself to the dish pit many a day and proud to do it ...actually relaxing in a way.( not that it is anything close to an easy job) I get paid the same no matter where I am in a day.  Let's put our hands together for the people that make are kitchen run smoothly!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    scotts likes this.
  8. joshua47

joshua47

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I wasn't speaking of the actual value of a dishwasher. I was simply commenting on some people's attitudes (like the person Gunnar worked with) when it comes to doing jobs that are dubbed beneath one's position. My point is that, in a kitchen, no job is beneath anyone. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

scotts likes this.
  9. skatz85

skatz85

Exp:
    Line Cook
    to origanal poster, i hate those kind of people. they do it because its a hobby or they think its fun or most of the time its cause mommy and daddy paid for it(not all but most). no love for food, no work ethics or experience. i hate those people. especially when they try to tell you how to do something,and think they know it

scotts likes this.
  10. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Ah.. "those" kind of people....

Had a prep cook once, aced the interview, and then he'd always show up up , ummm.. "mind altered" .  My shifts for him were 8-3 m-f, but he'd show up at 8:30 complaining about the bus routes.  So I'd play along with him, "sure" I'd say, "if you can't make the 7:30 bus. why don't you come in at 9 ?" And, for the first day, he would, then he'd complain about the 9:00  bus, and I'd tell him to come in an hour later.  Mind you, I never let him stay past 3.  This went on untill he'd show up at 12:00, and I had to put my foot down, minimum working hours are 3 hrs per day.  End of the  pay period he darn near has a heart attack,  more than half of his paycheck is missing!  I couldn't keep a straight face when I told him that he requested the shorter working hours.  Left  pretty darn quick, but to this day, I never knew if he caught on to what I was doing.....

scotts likes this.
  11. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    too bad for you

12. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    One of the guys I am having issues with is a great closer but does the mind altered thing too much and he has viewed his extra hours off as more time off rather than wtf is up why are they cutting my hours hmm.. I wonder when he is down to one three hours shift if he will finally clue in?

13. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yup.

Those one-liners are gettig awful stale, doncha think?

14. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Some people can say it in one word ......and some can not

15. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Fair enough, you chose to do on the forums, instead of PMing me.

So lets get this out in the open:

What's your Beef with me?

16. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think it's because you're Canadian.

Oh wait.....

17. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    are you talkin to me?

18. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yup.

Like I said, you can PM me, or if you want, you can tell me and everyone else on this forum what your beef is with me.

But lets get this thing settled.

19. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I do not have a beef with you , where did you get such a notion?

20. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    When I post, you usually copy and paste my post and then add simple one liner, as in the above post.

Many people have disagreed with what I write, and many will use facts, logic, or first hand experience to back up their disagreements with me.  This I can respect, and I value their effort, after all this is a forum.

But I do not respect copy and paste with the added one line of "too bad for you".......

Can you elaborate on this?