Some basic beginning recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by booooze, Mar 11, 2005.

1. booooze

booooze

Does anyone have an ideas as to what a beginner should make? like i can make kraft dinner, pasta etc, and probably cook meat, but im talking like a little more challenging. Any recommedations? Any Recipes?

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    One way to start is to learn to make a white sauce (Bechamel). You can morph it into many dishes.

Add some cheese- or a lot of cheese- and your own pasta for a far, far better mac and cheese than that blue box stuff. Butter the baking dish and sprinkle it with dry bread crumbs. Pour in the mixture. Sprinkle the top with more breadcrumbs and dot it with butter. Bake at about 350 until it's browned and bubbly and looks like you want to eat it. DIG IN.

Make a thick bechamel, using some chicken broth in place of the milk. Add cooked chicken or turkey and any veggies you like. Pour it into a casserole dish and cover with pie pastry. Cut some vents, brush it with a little beaten egg, and bake until the crust is golden. You've got chicken pot pie that beats Banquet.

Brown some salt pork or bacon. Remove the meat. Add the flour to the fat. Add a lot of clam broth or fish stock to make a thin white sauce. Let it thicken. Add fish and /or shellfish of your choice and a bit of herbs (I like thyme). You have chowder better than Campbell's.

Make a very thick white sauce. Add finely chopped poultry or fish and finely chopped veggies. Season with curry or other spices you like. Let it cool, then shape it into short, thick logs or ovals. Bread them and deep fry them. You have some decent croquettes. (I ate these in the Netherlands many years ago.)

You may want to get a cookbook with pictures so you can see how the dishes turn out. I have no titles to recommend, but others may. Take a cooking class at your local junior college or technical school. They may have evening, non-credit classes. My state has them; yours may, too. Ask someone who you know is a good cook to teach you some standard dishes.

That's for starters. Learn as you go, and tell us how things are coming out for you.

Bon appetit! :lips:
    Mezzaluna

3. booooze

booooze

awesome! thanks alot, ill try em and get back to you. I don't have time to go to nightschool because i already am, and my school timetable is full. this is another learn-on-my-own thing :p . ill get my sis to help, she's a good cook.some of those words i dont even know:p, but ill start with the white sauce and some simple pasta. thanks, ill get back to you on this... promised ;)

4. booooze

booooze

ok so, i just finished making mac and cheese. i didn't make a white sauce. i take it your supposed to and then add cheese, and then mix pasta with it, then cook it? cuz mine lacks cheese...lol, but it still tastes good :rolleyes: How do you make a white sauce? i was told it was just flour and milk :eek:

5. danbrown

danbrown

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is on of the most elementary preparations you can use to begin teaching yourself to cook.

Equipment needed

Sharp Knife
    Cutting board
    Pot to boil 2 Cups of Milk in
    Small sauté pan to make roux
    Wire whisk or plastic whisk if using non-stick pan
    Heat resistant measuring cup, or the promise not to get mad at me if you burn yourself!

You will begin by making the roux, then setting it aside to cool.

Roux

3 TABLESPOONS Butter
    3 TABLESPOONS Flour

Roux -
    1. On an electric range, turn the burner to medium to medium high, you want to melt the 3 TBSP butter, and have it hot, but you don't want it to brown. Set the pan on the heat, adding the flour when the butter is melted. Stir in with a whisk.

2. If the temperature is right, you'll be able to see bubbling on the sides of the roux in the pan, stir regularly, to avoid burning, and to create even cooking throughout the flour.

3. Cook for three minutes, after the desired heat is achieved. Set aside to cool.

Béchamel

1 TBSP Butter
    1/2 of 1 Small White or Yellow onion
    2 Cups Milk
    Roux
    2 tsp lemon juice (or half of a squeezed medium lemon)
    2 tsp kosher salt or 1 tsp table salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    Dash hot sauce (Tabasco)

Béchamel -

1. Dice the onion. I can advise you on how to dice an onion if you'd like, but the most important element is your ease of doing so and uniformity of dice, for this a consistent 1/4" dice is preferred.

2. In the pot, melt the 1 TBSP of butter to a slightly lower heat than the previous pan. Cook the onions in the butter, stirring frequently and keeping the heat low enough to cook them without browning. Cook until translucent. Take the pot off the heat.

3. Permit to cool for 30 seconds or so, and then add the milk and return to heat. You will bring this up to a boil.

4. Next you will combine the two pots, but it must be done in stages. Take the milk off the heat, and add 1/4 Cup of the milk to the roux.

5. Whisk the milk into the roux, once combined, add another 1/4 Cup of milk to the roux.

6. Once completely combined, dump the roux pan into the milk pan (still off heat). Then return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring regularly, constantly once a boil is reached.

7. At that point the sauce should be visible thickened. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

8. Add this point you can add your 1 Cup of shredded cheese to the sauce. I didn't list it at the top, because it's not part of a classical béchamel, but it's a frequent and common addition. It's important that the sauce is boiling and that you stir constantly as you add the cheese.

9. Finally, taste your work. Add the salt, pepper, hot sauce and lemon juice to finish the sauce. Adjust seasoning so you can taste all the elements of the sauce without any of them being overwhelming.

If you're trying to time it for noodles, then start the water on high when you return the béchamel to the heat after adding the roux. If you read my instructions, you'll be able to time it just right. You'll have to learn those two words to make this sauce.

This will give you a good base sauce to work from. You can add other vegetables to the sauce and cook them with the onions, and by adjusting the amount of roux you use, you can create sauces with different consistencies. You can add any type of spices, although some are definitely better than others.