Soggy Crust Pecan Pie

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by joepiebaker, Nov 5, 2004.

1. joepiebaker

joepiebaker

I can't seem to get my pecan pie filling to stay inside the crusts! It somehow leaks through the crust (no breaks in bottom or sides) and makes the pie very greasy and soggy. Here's the recipe:

2# lt. brown sugar
    1/3oz. salt
    1# melted margarine
    4#8oz. lt. corn syrup
    1#12oz. eggs
    3/4oz. vanilla extract

9oz. pecans per pie

can't remember how many pies one batch fills, but after I mix it, it goes in the freezer for an hour at least. It's then whisked by hand and poured over the pecans in the shell. Baked at 350F for 40min., covered for another 15-20.

A very sweet pecan pie. And I just can't keep it from ruining my lovely, flaky crusts!

-Joe

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Are you prebaking your crust? Make sure it is fully baked, so the dough doesn't absorb the filling.

3. shawn d.

shawn d.

Heh. Don't want to use raw crusts. Make sure that the cooked crust is cooled from baking as well.
    ;)

4. pa pete

pa pete

5. joepiebaker

joepiebaker

If I pre-bake the shell, won't it burn while the filling bakes? Also, the filling is taking a very long time to set. Is there something wrong with the recipe?

6. zukerig

zukerig

Many pies (including tarts, flans, and quiches) suffer from soggy bottoms. All manner of techniques have been developed to deal with them, but two remain particularly worthy of attention:

The first – to be used only for sweet pastries – is apricot jam, strained & melted, then brushed lukewarm over the partially cooked pastry base.

The second is to use an egg wash, made up of 1 whole egg, ½ tsp salt, and 1 Tbsp light salad oil. This mixture should be completely emulsified and brushed over the precooked pastry case before it’s filled.

The sense advantage is primarily a textural one – but clearly there is a benefit to the digestion for many diners as well.