Soft liege Belgian Waffles

Joined Nov 20, 2020
Good Evening Everyone.

Since Covid began I’ve been working on a Belgian waffle recipe I’d like to introduce in to my small batch ice cream shop. I’ve tracked down and imported Belgian Sugar Crystals and am using a Krampfouz waffle iron. Which we bake them at 190 for 3 minutes.

The problem is that my waffles become fairly stiff after they cool down. I was in Travelling last year and had some in a cafe that were absolutely delicious and even had a friend overnight me a batch to compare and contrast. Can’t seem to make mine stay soft over 20-30 minutes. The cafe we were at had filling in them. Or were dipped in chocolate. While I would love to do that, they become too hard. I’ve tried a dozen recipes and can’t seem to match the cafe theirs almost had a donut like consistency. I’ve included the one that seems to have worked best below. Any suggestions would help.

note: we do let it rise for 12-18 hrs (tried various times) both in and out of the fridge.

• 1 cup milk (20 cl of milk or 200g)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons lesaffre instant dry yeast
  • 2 cups t55 flour(250g)
  • 2 cups T45 pastry flour(250g)
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 tbsp. brown sugar (75g)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 generous pinch of salt
  • 10 ounces butter (300g)
  • 1 cup Belgian pearl sugar

Last edited:
Joined Oct 2, 2016
This is how it also happens in belgium, we cannot keep the real Liège waffles fresh for the next day, they are cooked à la minute in front of the customer.
Personally, I never made them.
What vendors sometimes do is put a baked waffle back into the waffle iron to heat it up, but never with a waffle from the day before.
The industry offers so-called Liège waffles which are eaten cold.
Try to line up the ingredients of a donut recipe next to the ingredients of a Liège waffle, and correct your recipe.
Good luck

Joined Nov 20, 2020
This is how it also happens in belgium, we cannot keep the real Liège waffles fresh for the next day, they are cooked à la minute in front of the customer.
Personally, I never made them.
What vendors sometimes do is put a baked waffle back into the waffle iron to heat it up, but never with a waffle from the day before.
The industry offers so-called Liège waffles which are eaten cold.
Try to line up the ingredients of a donut recipe next to the ingredients of a Liège waffle, and correct your recipe.
Good luck
Thank you for your ideas of mixing and matching the recipes. The volume - based on our ice cream sales is too high to ‘re-heat’ on the go like that unfortunately. We would be the only one in the city to have the offering. Anticipating approximately 1000-1500 per day of mini liege sales.

Top Bottom