Soft Foods

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kyheirloomer, Dec 28, 2010.

1. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I'm about to undergo major dental surgery (all the remaining ones are coming out, as a matter of fact), and it will be some time before the dentures go in.

Obviously it will be awhile before I can chomp on a steak. And the first couple of days, I'm sure, will be puddings and such. But what about once the gums start to heal?

What I'm looking for are soft foods that taste good. Things that I can eat without haveing to masticate them first. Mashes and purees come to mind, of course. But I need suggestions for other things, if nothing else for variety sake.

In a word: Help!

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey KYH, sorry to hear that - hope everything goes well with your surgery!!

Mashes and purees are obvious. You also have custards, timbales, flans. I suppose you know how to make them but I can share recipes if needed. Mousses. Souffles. Pates, terrines, compotes, sauces, soups...

And don't forget the obvious: ice cream! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Quenelles. Either just plain flour ones, or poultry ones, or fish ones...

Poached fish, or steamed fish, or fish in a banana leave.

Is that the kind of things you're looking for? Or can you chew on more? I'll try to think of other ideas.

3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Thanks, FF. All good ideas. I'm also thinking anything dumpling-like, tortillas & fritattas, and so forth. Be a real shame if I have to eat a lot of gnocchi won't it. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

As to what I'll be able to chew on, who knows? I'm guessing that the first two week will be the roughest. Once my gums start to heal and toughen up things will get better.

What we've decided is to wait until I'm fully healed (about six weeks) before fitting the dentures. That way they won't need constant adjustments. But it will be several more weeks after than before they are ready. So we're likely looking at spring before I can eat normal.

My dentist says it's surprising what you can eat once the swelling and pain go away. He even claims to have patients who eat corn without their teeth in. So time will tell.

4. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have been through several dental surgeries through the years and had to eat soft food.  The last time, I put almost anything in the blender and pureed with chicken or beef broth.  It didn't look that appetizing but it wasn't bad.  I wouldn't choose to eat pureed  grilled hamburger with bun and all the toppings but it tasted pretty good when I couldn't bite and chew well. I did the same to roasted chicken breasts with bbq sauce and quite a few other foods.  I didn't just put everything in the blender together but kept it separate just as if I'd fixed a plate.  I know that's not exactly the answer you are looking for but I just had a hard time coming up with soft foods that actually sounded appetizing.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I was thinking of dumplings. Gnocchis, of course. There's the Italian potato-based, the French pate-a-choux-based... those porcini gnocchis are very, very good: http://gumbopages.com/food/italian/porcini-gnocchi.html

Then there's any kind of melt-in your mouth stews as well.

Us French like to cook vegetables until they're melt-in-your-mouth tender, what most Americans would consider waaaaay overcooked. Maybe it's time for you to give it a try, personally I like both, but I really feel like cooking vegetables the French way develops flavors that are missing in the "al dente" vegetables served today in American restaurants. If you haven't blanched a "haricot vert" for 15 mn, you don't know the "real" (to me) taste of a haricot vert.

What about cakes? As a kid we used to make a green olive, ham and gruyère cake. My wife also makes a great mushroom/bread pudding. Just think savory bread pudding with lots of sauteed wild mushrooms & shallots and a fair amount of parmeggiano. I guess you could make all sorts of puddings.

Also cooked vegetable salads. For example, you can bake or grill slices of zucchinis, tomatoes, eggplants, onions, bell peppers etc... until meltingly tender and toss them with a vinaigrette. At the beginning you could even pulse the whole thing in a food processor or chop it with your knife if you're patient. Eggplant caviar! That's what we call it in France.

I have a ton more ideas but I have to go. I'll be back! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

6. pattypan

pattypan

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    homous,refried beans and melted cheese........ polenta with meat/ tomato sauce,

curried lentils

chili cooked until it is almost broken down with or without ground meat.

shepherds pie made with ground meat and creamed corn and grated carrots,

fish chowder, red or white.

eggs,scrambled or egg salad....grate the eggs.

good luck!

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Souffle should be on the list. A good cheese souffle is awesome.

Potato Garlic Soup is good. http://www.nickstellino.com/recipes_display.asp?ind=436 --a smooth soup.

Ribollita or a bread soup should work for you too in much the same way though it may need some final processing.

Some Stir Fried Tofu comes to mind as that can be mashed against the roof of the mouth and eaten without real chewing  but as I recall you disbelieve in tofu as food.

Farina/cream of wheat. We had some at a Sudanese place with Shroomgirl once. Made with yogurt and spiced a bit. I've never been a big fan of it in any form, but you might like something like that. My wife was a fan.  Similarly, Congee though you'd be limited in the garnishes. Also soft polenta. Finely chopped solids to enliven it perhaps.

Some more will come to me in a bit probably.

8. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    All grist for the mill, guys (except the tofu---I did ask for real food, didn't I). Keep 'em coming.

9. babytiger

babytiger

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    If I was in your shoes, I would be eating lots of sous vide eggs!

Oatmeal or rice porridge - can be flavored a number of ways, sweet and savory. Or even a really soft cooked risotto.

Polenta

Mashed potato/sweet potato

10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    KY  I sure don't envy you. I lost all my uppers about 10 years ago. Took a long time to get use to dentures. To this day It feels better with them out. What I did was make everything I liked and since when we eat and chew we grind it up then swallow . I ground or chopped all very fine and ate it. A lot of turkey , chicken , pasta, and loads of herbs and spices, Mashed, riced, hashed in cream, small diced au gratin potatoes, rice , and on and on. Loads of heavy good soups.

11. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Baked or poached or macerated fruits.

Pancakes with lots of maple syrup.  

Soft cheeses.   Cheesecake!

Avocados.

Scalloped potatoes.

I would think you could manage pasta maybe in a couple of weeks???

(This is the high-calorie soft diet.)  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

12. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I lost all my uppers about 10 years ago

Check the top right hand dresser drawer, Ed. Right next to the missing socks. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Seriously, thanks for the tips.

13. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    geez, how old are you guys?!!!! yo...ky,my friend, keeping your love for all things fish in mind...crabcakes come to my mind's first thought for you..you know, the real ones without any fillers...any fish really, especially the soft white ones........just your style man.....do you have to be careful with spicy heat as well? just cuz, you can eat practically anything if it has a really good hot sauce on it..actually, Tabasco has a GREAT chipotle tabasco hot sauce as well as a really good hot habanero sauce.....others here have posted some great, great ideas..personally, i say, liquor always works for the few first tough days, especially if you're snowed in..think hot toddies!....hope all goes well...of course, there's always the grain family...farro, barley, quinoa, coucous, dal...and wonderful thai soups...wonton..tom gai yum etc....you know them all, i'm sure...if i was there, i'd bring you a pot of something, for sure....be well...

joey

oh, don't forget about my personal favorite, creme brulee

14. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    do you have to be careful with spicy heat as well?

Haven't a clue yet, Joey. The surgery is on January 4, and I'll know more after that.

15. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Dhal comes to mind as well as stews and curries, cooked to the point of the meat disintegrating.

On top of the more "normal" European stews there are a lot of Malay/Indonesian stews as well. They are very tasty and personally I wouldn't mind eating them for weeks in a row (different ones every day of course). Gimme a shout if you're in need of some recipes....

Home made burgers should be fine.

Pasta and most sauces

Ragout & mash

Noodles and some mince meat based sauce

Soups are the obvious ones as mentioned by a couple of people already

good luck!

16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook

17. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     KYH I feel your pain... I have soft teeth and I am sure dentures are in my future but right now I haven't the time for it as my kids need me.

A recipe for you from my mom... she was a crappy cook on a good day but this she made well.....

Italy's Pride American  (from the Renfrew county cookbook,  circa 1945)

1 pound macaroni, cooked and drained

2 cups  stewed tomatoes

1 onion, chopped

butter

breadcrumbs

salt and pepper

Keep the butter and breadcrumbs aside and mix everything together, season with salt and pepper.  Put in a casserole dish.  Mix butter and breadcrumbs together and put it in top of the casserole.  Bake at 350F for 45 minutes then serve.

18. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You are right, sometime my dentures are so uncomfortable, that over the years I have learned to eat steaks and chops(small cut pieces ) with only my gums.

19. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    You are right, sometime my dentures are so uncomfortable, that .......

You guys ain't making me feel much better. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif

Fact is, I've been putting this off for years for that reason. Virtually everyone I know who's had it done is uncomfortable with their dentures, particularly the lowers. Two years ago I looked into the idea of implants. Yeah, right! For just two posts to help lock the lowers in place the total bill would have been close to $8,500.

But the other fact is that I can't keep going on coping with the infections, and broken teeth, and constanct pain, etc. Couple of weeks ago an abcess was so bad I actually was all but hallucinating from the toxins. So it's got to be done.

Meanwhile, thanks to all of you for the suggestions and expressions of support. That's what makes this a community, rather than just a bunch of people posting on forums.

20. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    and because you will need a challenge somewhere along your recovery(speedy, i hope), how about the italian dish Timpano Di Maccheroni?...not for beginers!  tagines are so wonderfully diverse, the simple spanish tortilla, she crab soup, and cioppino for protein...... humor aside,i  truly only wish you the best....please keep us posted

joey