~*~Soft Foods Suggestion~*~

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by msrhodes, Apr 2, 2002.

1. msrhodes

msrhodes

Hello:

I am just recuperating from surgery and I was on a liquid diet, and now progressed to soft foods. Can some one please suggest some great tasting and nutritional soft foods I can eat. I have grown tired of Tuna, Grits, Oatmeal. I tried the Baby foods and they were so nasty.

Please help!

:confused: Fawn

2. msrhodes

msrhodes

~*~Soft Foods Suggestion~*~
    Hello:

I am just recuperating from surgery and I was on a liquid diet, and now progressed to soft foods. Can some one please suggest some great tasting and nutritional soft foods I can eat. I have grown tired of Tuna, Grits, Oatmeal. I tried the Baby foods and they were so nasty.

Please help!

:cry: Fawn

3. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    That's a loaded question. First, did your doc give you a specific list of things you cannot eat?

Can you eat steamed veggies? Dice & Steam.

Or fish?

Mashed Potatoes or Mashed Pumpkin, squash etc.?

Soup or Broth??

Hard boiled eggs?

Fruit? Like Bananas or Advocados. (not sure if advocados are fruit)

That's what I served my friend when his doc put him on soft foods and I also fed my babies this kind of food. I also suggest asking your doc before trying anything but those are a few ideas to start with. And stay away from that processed baby food. Nasty stuff!

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How about:
    -baked winter squashes such as acorn or butternut
    -fruit smoothies
    -flavored mashed potatoes (I could live on mashed potatoes!!)
    -scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and herbs
    -black bean soup (spicy or not)
    -curried creamed spinach
    -cheese soup (another one of my favorites)
    -If you have a food processor you can create purees out of just about any veg. you could think of carrots, cooked dried beans, chickpeas (hummus), eggplant (baba ganouj)

Hope this helps. At least it is a start.

5. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    * Oatmeal (from scratch, not an envelope)
    * Roasted/mashed sweet potatoes (loaded with vites)
    * Yogurt
    * Polenta (mmm..any excuse to eat that!)

6. isa

isa

Applesauce & other fruit sauce

Smoothies

Risotto

Milkshakes

7. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    White chocolate mousse.
    Dark chocolate mousse.

Racking my brain here..
    Oh, I know: Milk chocolate mousse!

But seriously.
    Hope you feel better soon Ms. Rhodes.. ;)

8. alexia

alexia

All sorts of vegetable and fruit purees
    Baked potatoes with yogurt & pureed/roasted garlic
    Any pudding
    Custards, both sweet and savory - you can add all sorts of vegetables if you mince them
    I forget, did anyone mention smoothies? (try with silken tofu, a banana, and any frozen fruit of your choice)

9. msrhodes

msrhodes

:lips: -- Unfornately I can not eat anything with high sugar content...thanks for making me smile though.

Fawn

10. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    There are ways to modify this to your tastes. Ill look up a recipe for you. Although Im sure someone will beat me to it. :D

Jodi

PS

What about sodium? Do you need to adjust that too? Are you on Low Fat, Low Sugar or Low Salt? Would help a bunch with our suggestions. :chef:

Edit: Here is a link to sugar free dessert recipes you can try.

Sugar Free Desserts

11. msrhodes

msrhodes

:rolleyes: Fawn replies: No to hard, have to be soft mush -- yuck!

:rolleyes: Fawn replies: Tuna, but I am going to try a different type since I do love fish but herein again has be cooked really well and I despise overcooked anything.

:rolleyes: Fawn replies: Yes, Potatoes, did not consider butternut squash until you mentioned squash -- don't like pumpkin well enough to eat it not in a soup.

:rolleyes: Fawn replies: Yes, I am doing the soups but I just wanted something with more substance

:rolleyes: Fawn replies: Did not think of those but now that you mention it I want some scrambled eggs or scramble tofu<< I like scrambled tofu> really bad!

:rolleyes: Fawn replies: Too sweet it has be in a pureed form or with something like in a drink or applesauce.

:rolleyes: Fawn replies: I spoked with her and that is who transitioned me to the soft/pureed foods. You are right about the processed baby food.!!!

12. msrhodes

msrhodes

:( Fawn Replies: I hate Oatmeal from scratch unless it is baked in a loaf or used in something -- but I am tired of Oatmeal anyhow.

:lips: Fawn Replies: Roasted Mashed Sweet potatoes great Idea I love those.
    :lips: I am eating Yogurt but herein again too much of a good thing, needed some variety.
    Never in my brain did I think of Polenta and as much as I love it and so many cooking shows I have watched using it I will try that this weekend. Thank you :)

13. msrhodes

msrhodes

;) Fawn Replies: I am eating Applesauce other fruit sauce????
    ;) Fawn Replies: Just call me smoothie queen but I hate the protein powder I have to mix with it.

;) Fawn Replies: Humm, didn't think of Risotto it just may be a lil to heavy but I can try it.

;) Fawn Replies: Only if they are made from Soymilk otherwise I have a had bad reaction to the lactose.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!!
    Fawn

14. msrhodes

msrhodes

Vegetable purees -- yuck! Fruit I can deal with but I just cant stand my veggies pureed.
    Baked potatoes with yogurt?? Interesting...
    Don't like any pudding except corn or plum
    Savory custard like what??
    Yes I have been using Silken Tofu and doing the smoothie thingie now...

Thank you so much for you suggestions.
    Fawn

15. msrhodes

msrhodes

Yes Please I would appreciate a recipe. Yes I am on sugar free diet also but I do not like the aspartamen taste or Sweet and Low nasty taste so I am going to go to Splenda's website and see what kind of recipes I can find on there. Sodium does not have to be adjusted just the sugar.

Fawn

16. msrhodes

msrhodes

Butternut I will try!
    I have been doing the smoothie thing I need a variation.
    I like Mashed potatoes too but to much flavor right now makes me sick I have stick with the plain :-(.
    Scrambled eggs w/Smoked salmon and herbs sounds good however I think that is a lil too much right now -- but I will try the scrambled eggs or scrambled tofu.
    Black Bean soup cant do it is too spicy and to much garlic for me right now.
    HATE CREAMED SPINACH
    Cheese soup too heavy
    but into pureerd veggies -- however the hummus and baba ganouj I do eat.

Thank you sooooooooooo much!
    Fawn

17. msrhodes

msrhodes

I am eating yogurt the flavored sweet kinds and and I am using tofu also. Custard I have only tried in its sweet form not savory.

I can not do a lot of spices because as your screen name implies I got a funny tummy right now

I have about two months befor I can get into cruchy stuff.

18. alexia

alexia

Here's a recipe from Jean Georges Vongerichten that I tried. In your case, you can mince the chard leaves into the ones you will eat and mix it into the flan, wrap those for other people as in the recipe and bake or steam.

I think the steaming timing is a bit off on this; it took considerably longer for me.

SWISS CHARD TIMBALES from VONGERICHTEN: (4 SERVINGS)
    May be assembled a day or two in advance and steamed at the last minute.

1 lb Swiss chard
    juice of 1 lemon
    2 cups cream
    1 Tbs minced garlic
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    cheese
    1 egg yolk
    1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
    salt and black pepper
    x
    cut stems from chard, keeping leaves as intact as possible; wash both stems and leaves. If stems are thick, cut them the long way into 2 or 3 slices. Chop stems into 1/4" dice.
    x
    bring 2 pots of salted water to boil; add juice of the lemon to one. Cook the stems in the acidulated water til tender, about 10 minutes. Drain Cook leaves in other pot til wilted and quite tender, 3 - 4 minutes. Drain, then immediately submerge in large bowl of ice water. When cool, drAin in colander.
    x
    Combine cream and garlic in small pan and cook over medium high heat 15 minutes til reduced by more than half. Stir in chard stems and reduce eat to medium low. Cook another 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Cool mixture a few minutes. Stir in Parmesan, egg yolk, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
    x
    While cream reduces, line 4 custard cups with plastic wrap. Pat chard leaves dry with paper towels, then line each of them with as few as 3 - 4 or as many as 6 - 7 per cup, depending on size.
    x
    Fill cups with the stem mixture and fold leaves over, fold the plastic wrap over all. may be prepared up to this point and refrigerated up to 2 days.

Place in steamer for 5 - 10 minutes (longer if they were refrigerated) til heated through. Or microwave them. Carefully remove packages from plastic wrap and serve on small plates.

Here's a recipe from Southwest Tastes that looks good, though I haven't tried it

AVACADO MOUSSE: (SW TASTES, serves 8-10)
    8 small avocados (6 yields 7-8 cups pulp),
    juice of 4 lemons
    1 Tbs Dijon mustard
    dash Worcestershire
    salt, white pepper
    1/2 cup heavy cream

Line 9 x 5" loaf pan with parchment; leave enough to cover the top.

Peel avocados, sprinkling cut surfaces with lemon juice. Set aside 2; cube remaining 6; put in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; mash well (use mixer or hands). Whip cream to soft peaks (chill bowl, beater.

Fold whipped cream into avocado, adjust seasoning, pour half into mold. Halve remaining avocados; place them, hollow side don in loaf pan. Tap to remove holes; fill with remaining mousse. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving. Be sure parchment is directly on surface of mousse to prevent discoloration. (or plastic wrap.

Serve with tomato sauce, shrimp.

19. msrhodes

msrhodes

Funny Tummy:

Thank you for your suggestions!!!
    Rose Water and vanilla sound really good. Although, the Maple Syrup and Grenadine are lil to high in sugar for me and I am not to much of a fan of Pistachio. I do have a nutritioninalist -- however, thus far everything she has suggested has made me sick. I ate less than a teaspoon of corned beef hash this morning and got sooooooooo sick and I ate two small bite of scrambled egg whites and I was just very sick so I guess I really am going to have to stick with broths, smoothies and vey light soups -- oh and my gatorade. :)

Thank you so much for your help I really do appreciate it.

Some times it is really hard for people to relate to being ill until they are in your shoes.

Fawn

20. msrhodes

msrhodes

Alexia:

Thank you so much for this recipe I will indeed try it once I am feeling somewhat better -- today was a rough morning for me.

Thank you again!!

Fawn