Soft Drinks in a Restaurant - What do you Expect?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Suppose you go to a very expensive restaurant and order a Coca Cola. Do you expect it to come from a can and then get poured into a cup, or are you fine with the standard fountain version. Do you expect refills to be free?

Your thoughts on the matter? Any thought would be appreciated.

Joined May 5, 2010
From my perspective a "very expensive" restaurant would probably have a lounge or bar.
They may have the bar gun for cocktails as opening individual cans of pop can be costly.
My experience in Michelin starred places had them bring you the Coca Cola in a glass with ice.
No....refills were not free in a place like that.

Joined Jan 25, 2013
I would think an expensive restaurant would bring the Coca Cola to the table in a bottle wrapped in a towel and open it at the table, perhaps pouring you a taste to sample to make sure it is the right vintage. I know lesser places serve soft drinks from a machine that is set to use a little less syrup and more water that what is found in a can.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
There really is no elegant way to do is there? Unless you go with the alternative expensive soft drinks?

Joined Oct 31, 2012
If I were running the fancy place, I'd bring the can to the table with a glass of ice big enough to hold the entire can, wait for the customer to fill the glass, then remove the can immediately from view.
If for some strange reason I ordered the coke, I wouldn't care how they brought it. I wouldn't expect refills to be free.
If someone I was dining with in a fancy restaurant ordered a coke, I'd likely not eat with them again.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I remember taking my family to a restaurant one time. My wife always asks for a Pepsi, they always tell her we only have Coke. My wife told her she didn't like Coke so she would just have water. The Waitress can back in a few minutes with a Pepsi. She ran down the street and bought a few cans. Needless to say she got a good tip......ChefBillyb

Now to answer the question. Coke in btls, poured at the table no refills.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
We have just the opposite experience. Ask for Coke and get told only Pepsi. And nobody has ever been kind enough to get Coke... instead all we get are blank stares and comments like, “Many people ask for Coke but we don’t sell it”. You’re lucky!

And to answer the question: Coke with rum or JD As a cocktail is as low-brow as I’d expect at fine dining. Coke/Pepsi with dinner is inexcusable.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Why is someone's choice of beverage subjected to anyone else's opinion?

In My expensive restaurant we have both from the gun. We also have lesser asked for choices in bottles. Soft drinks are served in glass not plastic, and refilled free.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
No, I make allowances for the needs and desires of others. I just find it completely yuckky to drink soft beverages with dinner. My kids drink lemonade as they eat their $60 mid-well dry aged rib eye. I couldn’t, though... either the beverage or the mid-we’ll. :)

I suppose it may be dependent upon how one was raised. In my family we rarely drank soda at all, and it was either water or wine with dinner. That’s all I knew from 9 to now. My wife and kids...

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I've never really enjoyed wine with dinner. I drink and enjoy the wine for itself and eat and enjoy the dinner for itself. My own personal choice of beverage with a fine dinner is iced tea w/ lemon.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Fountain is fine of it is done right... stopped at BK for supper and the fountain coke tasted so bad I couldn't drink it.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Several years ago I quit a terrible diet coke/diet pepsi habit. But I do indulge when out dining sometimes. What's better than a burger and a coke? Nothing! I'm not much of a drinker, so I often opt for a diet coke. Many of you would not want to dine with me it seems.

As for what I prefer? Good old fountain drinks if they are set up correctly. I'm known to complain at restaurants about the imbalance of syrup and CO2 lol. But if their fountain drinks aren't up to par I prefer a can, cold, without ice or lemon in my glass. I'm quite happy with free refills.

In Europe they bring you a bottled cola and a glass of ice. Can't go wrong.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I think everyone would want to dine with you. Some might not want to dine like you. A big difference!

I have a Coke with my lunch every weekday. Bad habit that’s really hard to break. I like the taste But don’t like the sugar high... and can’t stomach Diet Coke. But I’m odd in that respect it seems.

Joined Nov 28, 2017
I'm not one who frequents 'fine dining' but ordering a soda there sounds a bit odd to me. So be it, if that is the choice, a nice glass with ice if desired could be managed I'm sure.

What does turn me off about 'fountain drinks' is charging more than the cost of a brand name 6 pack for a glass usually half filled with ice. I don't enjoy watered down drinks, but also hate when I request "No ice please." and the drink arrives room temp. Actually I would much prefer to have a soda in a CAN, chilled from the refrigerator with a glass to pour it into. And considering that a can of soda is probably .25 - .35 when bought, what gives with charging about 10Xs that price to have that with my meal?

Joined Oct 31, 2012
In the midst of this discussion, I realized I had completely forgotten you can get coke in bottles. So... the fancy place should bring a bottle, not a can. And more wine.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
I'm going to chime in here because I've noticed something strange.. of all the establishments I've embellished a fountain drink.. Taco Bell has always.. and I mean 20 yrs+ had a better fountain drink. More fizz.. colder.. better taste. Now, this could entirely be that I was used to drinking Coke but we all know a fountain Coke is a sad cry of the real thing. Or maybe as others suggested, it was the syrup to water ratio? Maybe they chilled their water? I don't know. It likely could be that Pepsi just tastes better in a fountain drink scenario:

cvp.JPG

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I actually thought this was a bit of an odd question. But then, I am European and I know no better than an ice cold bottle, glass and ice.
I don't drink coke, but that is basically how all soft drinks would come to the table.
Tins/cans are only for take away places (our bottles are deposit bottles)

Top Bottom