So, What are You Fermenting???

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pete, Sep 15, 2014.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This morning I pulled my sauerkraut from my fermentation crock after 7 weeks fermenting.  Jarred it up and put it in the fridge where I will let it sit another 3-4 days before I start using it.  Later this afternoon, I will start a bunch of kosher style pickles fermenting-usually only ferment them for 4-7 days as I like deli style half sours.

So is anyone else pickling using the fermentation method and if so what are you fermenting?

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I make quick pickles ( quickles? ) all the time and keep meaning to try a batch of real fermented dills.  Soon.

mjb.

3. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    While I have a fermentation crock I usually just make my deli-style kosher dills right in the jar and haven't had a problem yet.  I put the lids on them but only give them 3/4's of a turn to hold them in place but loose enough for gas to escape.  I have to admit though that for my pickles I do "cheat" a little.  I usually add 1 cup of white vinegar to my brine which is 8 quarts water and 1/2 cup of kosher or canning salt.

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Nothing yet but thanks for the reminder. Time to get the crock out of the attic and into use. Probably sauerkraut first. 

5. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Earlier this summer it was salad turnips with dill and a medley of carrot and jalapeno sticks.

6. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I do the half sour deli style pickles myself. Last time I let them ferment for 3 days, but I noticed that after jarring them and placing them in the refrigerator, after about 3 weeks they had gone past the level of sourness I prefer. So next time I think I'll jar them after two full days. One thing that really shocked me, is the simplicity of the seasoning. It was simply garlic and black peppercorn with a little fresh dill. I've made all manners of spice mixes in the past but these had the best kosher dill flavor of anything I've made to date.

I want to try kraut at some point, but the length of time is a bit much for me right now.

7. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I flavor mine mostly with dill and garlic although I do add red pepper flakes, whole coriander, whole mustard seed and whole peppercorns-not much, just a few sprinkled into each jar.  I don't bother with measuring those unless I'm actually writing a recipe for something.

8. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sauerkraut is on hold until my own cabbage is down. Currently I got some Kimchi and some Spreewald-style salt pickles in my crocks. You might count the salted chilis from last year that start to get somewhat lactic-funky by now, too....

9. praties

praties

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Well, wine soon, if that counts.  :D  The grapes are just about ready to be harvested.

10. oldschool1982

oldschool1982

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I've got about a dozen or so really hot peppers soaking in brine right now. Been there for about 2 weeks so their just about ready to try. The kraut and pickles sound great. Gotta love pickles!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  11. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't have any recent pictures, these were from about 9 months ago but these are my kosher garlic dill half sours.

I may try fermenting some pepper mash soon to make my own hot sauce. I think that would be fun.

nicko likes this.
  12. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Looks good!!!

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    eastshores likes this.
  14. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
  15. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That sounds hot! I like it! I guess you would use that like a chili paste right? I would be tempted to add some garlic into it. I assume that would be safe with the salt quantity but not certain.

16. wyandotte

wyandotte

Exp:
    At home cook
    I made 19 quarts of cuc pickles in August.  Containg:  cucs/soft water/salt/currant leaves/garlic/pepper balls or bayleaf/dill seedtops or feathery dill leaves.  That's it.  Unbelievably tasty. 

The jars are staying in the refrigerator until the coldroom gets cold enough. I never pour hot water on my pickles or use vinegar.  Ghastly!

What's with this "kosher" business?  Why do you have to use kosherized salt or kosher anything? 

What do y'all think of fermentation crocks?  They seem to be rather pricey.

17. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I managed to get my crock at an auction really cheap because no one else knew what it was. I love it.  I enjoy having tools designed for a specific task. I may buy a smaller one to be able to do more than one item at a time. I think pricey because they are well made and work really well. There is still room for human error but the water seal designed lid makes the process of fermentation leaves less to worry about. 

Kosher salt and canning salt have similar grain size and can be used similarly. The size of the grain is important when canning/preserving. Table salt is too fine. I don't remember why it is referred to as "kosher". 

18. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chefwriter, kosher salt can be of any size.  I have purchased kosher salt that was large "flakes" and I've purchased kosher salt that is pretty fine although more times than not it is larger than table salt.  Many brands of canning salt are as fine, or finer, than table salt.  Both of these salts are different from table salt in the fact that they do not contain any additives.  Table salt usually contains iodine, which can give off flavors in canning, and prevent the proper microbes from growing during fermentation.  Table salt also sometimes contains anti-caking agents, which can contribute to fermentations being cloudy.

19. wyandotte

wyandotte

Exp:
    At home cook
    Picklling salt doesn't have to be "kosher" to be iodine- and additive-free, by the way.  The only reason pickling salt is kosher is that virtually everything on the supermarket shelves is kosher, not because it's somehow better, purer, or healthier.  I am old enough to recall when the only kosherized food was in a special, small, section of the store.  Now, you can't get anything else.

Chefwriter, what brand of crock is it that you got such a deal on?  Harsch, by any chance?  I wonder if there's any other brands, cheaper, so I don't have to get lucky at an auction like you did! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

20. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook