So Question about "Professionalism"

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by TheSaladGuy, Aug 16, 2017.

1. TheSaladGuy

TheSaladGuy

Exp:
    Pantry Cook
    So Im not giving you my entire life story I'll sum it up for you guys quickly.

My goal is to eventually become an Executive Chef one day. So my main focus on employment is Experience. So for the last 6 months I've been working Pantry at a local "From Scratch" restaurant, I feel (and our Sous Chefs feel) I've got the station pretty mastered, yet received no training in other stations or the ability to move around at all (other than to the dishpit when one calls out.) So I started sending in applications.

First one I got an interview and hired for was a place called.... Well I dont want to put restaurants on blast here, especially ones I've worked at. But it was pretty bad. Dont even get me started about that horrible.... horrible Kitchen, but hey, they paid me 12 an hour where as at my current location Im getting 8.10. About 3 weeks into the job I receive an interview for another, but not just any, not a fry position or a salad position, but a Saute position, a pretty good position to gain experience in, as I feel the other two are relatively easy to master in a short span of time.

Now they're paying me 11 dollars and hour, but they're giving me more hours (maybe a bit more than I can handle) So I sent in my two weeks at my other job... But now, two weeks down the road I get an interview at a true "From Scratch" kitchen, as a Saute over there. And it's not just a casual dining place either, it's Fine Dining and they want me as Saute.

The pay will be better, the experience will be better Im sure. Their plating is incredible I'm just... I dont know, those are three jobs Ive been hired to and quit in a relatively short span of time. So do you think it will hurt my professional future if I do quit this job, at only two weeks in to go somewhere else?

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Your post has me a little confused. Are you on job number three looking at job number 4 or are you at job number two looking at job number 3?
    Whether or not it hurts your professional future depends on a few factors. How big is the area you are in? A small town or big city? Cooks early in careers tend to move around when just starting out. Why you left, the reputation you left behind, the reputation you're creating at your current job all get around more in a smaller environment. On a paper resume, you can leave out a two week job without it being noticed. But in a small town, people already know you worked there.
    The pantry job was six months so that's good because it shows you can keep a job for awhile and you moved to a better position. But not every job is a good fit for everyone so it can be acceptable at two weeks to say it's just not working out or you got a better offer. But you can't say that all the time. As you gain experience, you should also gain the ability to see what kind of place you are accepting a job at and know in advance you can and will stay for six months to a year or longer.
    I think you've reached your limit for job changing for now. So decide now if you take the job, you will stay for six months to a year or longer and stick it out.
    By the way, there's more to jobs than plating, from scratch, etc. How well a place is managed can make a great cooking job a miserable experience. (Example= Cooking great food but paychecks late, boss is mean versus food okay but great boss and coworkers) So in future job hunting, be sure to get an idea of how well the place is run overall.

3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    As usual great advice from @chefwriter ... everything that was running thru my head but so much more.

mimi

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you take the new job, then you will need to stay there a bare minimum of a year, two would be better, or you will be making yourself very unattractive to employers in the future that are looking to hire.

As far as leaving two week jobs off of a paper resume, a quick click of a few keyboard keys by someone considering hiring you, will turn up that job you left off and you will look even worse.

linecookliz likes this.
  5. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The two week jobs wouldn't count on my resume. But you've burnt a couple of bridges in your young career. I have a few of those experiences in my past also.
    At this point you've used your saving throws, so hope that you made the right decision.
    You can only be a bad fit a certain amounts of time before you get that label.
    Good luck with your choice!

6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Who says you have to take about the places you only spend a few weeks at. If a restaurant experience, or the amount of time spent at a restaurant isn't good, then forget it. Only put in your resume what makes you look good. The only way someone knows, is if you tell them. Your not applying for a job at the Whitehouse so don't worry about how many restaurants you work at at this point. Worry if your still going from job to job 10 years from now. The only time someone will check a reference is if its for a Chefs position or possibly a Sous Chef position.......

7. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I look at it like this......why does a fine dining place want to hire you as a sauté cook when your only experience is six months of salad and dishes.
    Makes me think they are desperate for a warm body. Then you have to question why?

cronker and flipflopgirl like this.
  8. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Buba, in this business a long term commitment is 24 hrs.....Hope your feeling better buddy......

9. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I was, then I broke a toe in two places the other night!

10. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    That was you I stumbled over on the way to the ladies room Sat nite!
    Drunken stupor....that's what happens when you stop partying.
    The tolerance fades and you make stupid choices.
    Great band tho lol....love those country oldies.
    :cool:
    mimi

11. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Some good advice given already, so I'll just add this- maybe it's smart to give it a little time. You may feel differently in a few weeks or months. If you hate a job down to your bones then yeah, maybe level with them and let them know it's not working out.

It does hurt your resume to jump around. It's understandable that some places aren't a good fit, especially early on, but I'd be leery of hiring someone that never sticks around at a job. It's expensive to continually hire and train, hire and train, hire and train.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  12. cronker

cronker

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Your desire to become an executive chef one day should come into your own mind in some way.
    I'm wondering whether you truly know what that job means.
    It's highly possible that you would be in the position to hire someone like yourself - with a resume that shows a possible employee who has moved around a bit. Would you employ yourself is always a question that you should ask.

hrmn and flipflopgirl like this.
  13. TheSaladGuy

TheSaladGuy

Exp:
    Pantry Cook
    Well, I ended up taking the job. The other I didnt want to just up and quit on them after training so I talked it out and they're putting me on their schedule two days a week, which I mean... the little extra cash wouldn't hurt plus I didn't burn any bridges. My old Sous Chef highly recommended I take the position, my first day was today and well... absolutely no complaints. The set up is awesome, the level of communication is just, amazing. The Executive Chef is probably the best I've seen so far, which is why my Sous Chef recommended this job. He's a very hands on guy, training me to do Saute himself, while giving his Tournants experience in running the kitchen to help their goals of progressing further

He laughed at my Dalstrong knife issue and even gave me a really awesome old Messermeister chef and paring knife of his. Even went out and bought me two books called "The Professional Chef" and "The Flavor Bible" so I have to read those, said he'll be quizing me on info daily.

All in all, Im really glad I made the decision to go there.

Though I am a little intimidated the fact that it's high volume and the lines VERY open. So I have guests constantly staring at me while Im learning, a bit of insecurities coming out lol.

14. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Do you think the guests have ever been new and learning at some point in their lives? Any time you spend on insecurities, is time taken away from learning culinary arts. Focus on learning and doing your best. File this experience away in your memory banks for when you encounter new crew members in the future and that way you will be able to make a positive impact on them.

15. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I am happy that you are happy ... sounds like your old Sous made a phone call and talked you up.
    Evidently he saw something in you that needed to be in a different environment in order to thrive.
    You have been handed a gift that has become a rare commodity ... a position under a Chef who likes to nurture as well as teach.
    Read your books and keep those knives sharpened....
    Oh...about that open kitchen...keep your head down and work clean.
    Practice a facial expression that conveys "no surprise here I can fix it no problem" when you make an obvious mistake.
    Find some footage of Colin McHugh (Astros) pitching... a great example of a cool and collected demeanor.
    Last nite the A's were giving him fits during his first few innings on the mound but his face never showed it.

mimi

16. TheSaladGuy

TheSaladGuy

Exp:
    Pantry Cook
    Lol, he actually did, I asked if I could use him as a reference and he said he already talked to him. I asked him what he said and he told me "Well he doesn't know much but by God he tries hard" Made me feel like a special needs child.