So let's talk about wing sauces!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Sep 13, 2017.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    In October I'm thinking of having a get together .. calling it.. Fall Wing Bash or something.. basically the idea would be to fry up around 250 wings.. with the intent of having around 10 "from scratch" sauces. Not that I am going to distill my own hot sauce, but rather that each sauce be custom built using various ingredients, spice blends, etc. In other words as much as I do like Lowry's marinades as wing sauces I think part of the challenge and uniqueness of this would be to create the sauces.

So give me any exotic ideas with some details.. I am definitely open to some of the classics.. like lemon pepper but I'd like some creative thoughts on how to make it stand out. For instance, would grating onion and blooming that in butter before adding lemon juice and the lemon pepper blend make it stand above typical lemon pepper flavor?

I know that I must do my duty and heavily experiment leading up to this.. I plan to do that in small batches.. maybe 3 wings as not to die of a heart attack before the get together ;)

One idea I have is a garlic, lime, cilantro sauce. Not many sauces have that herb pop so I thought that might be an interesting one that people aren't used to.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The local wing joint I like (wing coop) does a garlic parmesan hot sauce that's really good.

Spice up some Hoisin instead of a teriyaki sauce.

Peanut curry or anything sate style.

Thai sweet chili sauce could be a fun starting point.

Coconut lime cilantro and fish sauce.

3. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Peruvian aji sauce

4. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Harissa mixed lightly with toum

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Omg can I come!?

My favorite is garlic Parmesan by far. Minced garlic, butter, cheese, and chives.

Moroccan spice would be good.

You can do a gremolata crust.

I also think it would be nice to try using sundries tomatoes. Tomatoes don't often find themselves incorporated into wings. Or maybe even a butter sauce with tomato paste whipped in.

morning glory likes this.
  6. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    You are welcome to! Be warned there is hurricane debri around though :confused:

I like garlic parm too, but I feel like most places do a terrible job and it ends up being greasy oil with a slight garlic flavor.. with the cheese all sitting in puddles under the wings. I was thinking for anything with garlic, fresh would be best but raw garlic has a spice to it that I'm not sure I'd want for something like garlic parm.. I'm thinking just blooming it in butter would fix that. Maybe with the parm the secret would be to use the micro-grater to allow it to sort of emulsify into the sauce so it coats the wings instead of falling into the bottom.

Love the idea of using chives.. that's a keeper!

7. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Wow! Had to google that and that is definitely unique. Only concern I see there.. iceberg is full of water.. wouldn't that be bad as a finishing sauce? How about frying, then tossing in this, then onto the grill to tighten up?

8. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A BBQ sauce I did years ago was pretty neat.. I think I posted on here about it.. it was an ancho black cherry sauce. Think.. southern red BBQ sauce meets Mexican mole.. very rich sauce and wouldn't be greasy.

9. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've never made it, only eaten at restaurants. I didn't know it was based in a pureed lettuce. It's texture seemed like it would work on a rice flour coated and fried wing.

10. redbeerd cantu

redbeerd cantu

Exp:
    St. Philip's College Culinary Arts (AAS, Cum Laude), International Kitchens
    Water, sugar, soy sauce and reduce until reduced to a syrup. Once you've gotten that down, make another batch with your choice of liquid flavor element. The possibilities are endless.

11. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    make caramel
    deglaze with sherry vinegar
    add a nub of ginger, sliced
    reduce to gastrique
    add 1/4-1/2 bottle of Mae Ploy
    reduce again to sauce consistency
    add a splash of sesame oil
    toss with wings, toss with sesame seeds, and enjoy

12. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Fish sauce and Toum, that I could really go for, throw in some Merken for good measure.

13. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I can see the elegance in black cherry.

morning glory likes this.
  14. Cdp

Cdp

Exp:
    18 years Chef recent promo to Sous
    wow this is cool,

wings are only starting to make traction here in the last 18months.

keep it comming guys nice ideas here

15. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So a couple of you suggesting a caramel/soy/vinegar base.. kind of a classic Asian sweet and sour base.. yea we could go on and on with that as a starter. I think it's a crowd favorite as a base and the sweet helps offset heat for a lot of people. Lemongrass comes to mind here..

16. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    OK.. I've never coated my wings but I see where this is going and I am going to have to experiment with this. The best part of a wing is the crispy skin and it has to hold up to the sauce.. best fries I've ever had .. almost had a tempura effect going on.. intriguing.. I will do a test.

17. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Tabasco sells a spicy chocolate. You can find it on Amazon. It's not a especially great chocolate but it's really interesting with the chili finish. Taza brand does a similar one with guajillo chili for a hot chocolate kind of mix but it might work well for meltinginto a sweet heat kind of thing. More chocolate than mole would be the goal? Chocolate and chicken might be too weird even for me.

eastshores likes this.
  18. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yea no thank you for desert wings. Even in my chili I use bitter chocolate sparingly.

19. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There's a nice southeast Asian sauce that I love with broiled chicken. (SE Asia is very nonspecific, but I forget now the details of its origin.) You add a great deal of sugar to apple cider vinegar and bring to a boil to dissolve; it should be sticky-sweet syrup, but obviously quite sour. Remove from heat and add a heap of minced fresh garlic and quite a bit of chili flakes. Allow to cool to room temperature, stir, and use. My family finds it addictive.

eastshores likes this.
  20. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Oh my no! Chocolate mole is made for chicken! And it is not really sweet at all.