So is frozen food really as awful as Gordon Ramsay makes it sound on TV?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Jonathan K, Sep 8, 2018.

1. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    No one knows where in Italy marinara originated. But, it is traditionally accepted that marinara is Italian in origin. In fact the first recorded marinara recipe was written by an Italian chef by the name of Antonio Latini in the 1690's. There are other bits and pieces of history that strongly suggest marinara originated in Italy as well. :)

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You’re right we don’t really know. And I haven’t been everywhere in Italy so it may exist in this form somewhere aside from where I’ve been.

First try Marcella’s recipe then form an opinion about it.

3. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    Yes @halb, opinions, opinions. I tried Marcella's recipe and just gag. As much as I love butter, I can't do it it tomato sauce.

4. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I was waiting for you to try it first. :p

5. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Oh wow I tried that recipe a few months ago! I did not care for it. I love butter but it was too rich. I would like to try it again when it gets really cold here (about 65 I’m so cal, lol) and see if I appreciate it more then.

Thanks for the reminder!

As for the Amy’s Baking Company episode, I believe it was frozen raviolis that Ramsay went off about. I’ve seen that episode about 20 times. I think it was edited to death and the producers really pushed those two to their limits. Anyway, I could talk about that one forever.

So, yes to frozen ravioli at home, but don’t try to sell them to customers!

Jonathan K likes this.
  6. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I understand where Gordon Ramsay is coming from . . . at least to a certain point. However, the quality of frozen products is all over the place. Take frozen hamburger patties for example. Some is so inferior that one would have to pay me a significant sum of money to eat one. On the other hand, there are some higher end frozen hamburger patties that are superior to a burger made with a patty where the 'fresh' meat was inferior to begin with and/or wasn't mixed properly with ingredients to help it hold its shape, et.

'Fresh' doesn't always mean better. Frozen on the other hand can depend on when and how it was frozen . . . and how it was packaged and how long it's been frozen. Frozen ravioli? Fresh ravioli is pretty easy to make. If I'm eating ravioli in a halfway decent restaurant, they better have made it themselves.

There are also some items . . . like puff pastry . . . that most restaurants would have to be insane to to make from scratch on a regular basis. For the highest end restaurants, they may have the money, space, time, etc. to have a full time pastry chef. But, for most restaurants, they are more than likely going to make do with the resources they have. A quality frozen puff pastry should work okay in most situations.

Ramsay is a respectable chef . . . however, he's also a character and plays for the camera. I'm sure the producers encourage an occasional tirade it at times. I do think he's behaved better on Master Chef the past few seasons . . . especially in a season's early episodes when they're slogging through and separating the decent home chefs and from the ones that were lucky. And, he can be especially kind and considerate when he's working with kids.

drirene likes this.