So.. I had this great idea for a type of spread

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Nov 11, 2010.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Turkey day is coming, and I usually celebrate along with family friends. I've been charged with deep frying the turkey the past couple years, but in addition I like to prep some appetizers to bring along while everyone waits. Last year I did some basic meat and cheese rolls, but I used great product like boars head port roast beef, with sharp provolone.

So to extend that idea this year, I wanted to create little open sandwiches using a similar meat roll but put them on a grilled baguette with a somewhat exotic spread.

The other day in the supermarket I saw a jar of fire roasted red peppers in a garlic oregano oil. I thought.. hmm.. if I mixed that with a good helping of feta cheese and puree it, with a little cracked pepper, could be a great spread for this sandwich idea. So today I gave it a shot. After dipping a cracker in it, the taste was so very familiar... a quick google and I realized my exotic spread is for all intents and purposes good ol' pimento cheese! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif dang! so much for original.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I experimented a while back with the same thing and it was great.  I found that by also adding a bit of greek yogurt to the mix it made a much smoother consistancy.  I like to add a few red pepper flakes too for heat.  Good stuff, it always runs out whenever I serve it at parties.

3. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Awesome.. that was my exact thought, "this is good but to make it smoother I should add a little greek yogurt" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

4. danvis65

danvis65

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Roasted garlic and Brie cheese spread.

Remove rind of Brie cheese. Best done right out of the refridgerator while cold.

Place in mixer bowl (let Brie warm up a bit) with cream cheese and roasted garlic.  

Mix

Add S&P to taste making sure to mix until salt has fully incorporated and spread is whipped into a spreadable consistency even in a refridgerated state.

Butter 1/4" thick French bread and bake thoroughly to a crouton state.

Place Croustini's on platter around a bowl of the Roasted Garlic and Brie Cheese spread and watch your guests clamoring for another taste!

5. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Made this only yesterday; panfried scampi with avocado-dip

- Marinade scampi; Peel raw scampi but leave just the tailsection. 'Deveine' (cut the back open, remove the black canal).

Make a marinade; 2tbsp olive oil, zeste of 1/2 lemon (no white!!), small red chilipepper without pips. Mix in a foodprocessor until very fine but not a paste. The little bits must still cling on the scampi when frying them. Put scampi in for 15-30 minutes.

- Avocado dip; very ripe soft avocado, juice of 1/2 lime, tiniest piece of ginger (I used around 1/2 cm square piece), 1-2 tbsp yoghurt (add a little at a time and see how the consistency evolves), some fresh cilantro, s&p. Mix untill right consistency.

- Fry scampi; a dash of olive oil in a pan. Wait until the pan is very hot (check by holding your hand above it). Fish scampi by hand out of the marinade -one by one- so they don't start to steam in the pan. Fry max 30 sec. turn fry 30 sec. Don't forget s&p!! Done.

- Put dip in a small bowl. Put it in the middle of a large plate. Place scampi around it. Divine!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010