So, I did something different.

Joined Aug 9, 2017
I decided to say f*** it. Packed two backpacks (that luckily click together). Got my last check + some savings. Picked a random place and went. I now find myself in New Hampshire, applied to a few kitchens here in Lebanon. Got some interviews Wednesday, Thursday and Friday lined up. Two at local Tourist Hotels and Restaurant, one at a pretty cool Irish pub and one at a "Fine Dining Bakery"

And tonight I camp at a local empty park, found a nice Gazebo that even features a smooth concrete floor, a cool roof and an outlet. (Fancy Homeless Living)

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Cool beans! I did more less the same thing 38 years ago when I moved to Vail, Colorado from Florida. Got a job that even offered employee housing.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
Good luck, SaladGuy.
In 2010 my spouse and I had decided to relocate. We'd talked about a lot of different places. Both she and I had moved and lived all over the west and were having a hard time agreeing on where we wanted to move. So one night we got wasted, and each wrote down the names of 4 states we'd never lived in. We both wrote down Vermont. And here we are.
Sometimes the unknown is the best thing going.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
That's awesome. One of the great perks to being a cook/chef-you can go almost anywhere and find a job. One of the reasons I got into this business, originally.

Good luck, SaladGuy.
In 2010 my spouse and I had decided to relocate. We'd talked about a lot of different places. Both she and I had moved and lived all over the west and were having a hard time agreeing on where we wanted to move. So one night we got wasted, and each wrote down the names of 4 states we'd never lived in. We both wrote down Vermont. And here we are.
Sometimes the unknown is the best thing going.

Where in Vermont are you? I spent 7 years growing up in the little village of Hyde Park, about 20 minutes from Stowe, and when I was choosing a culinary school I found myself back in Vermont, at New England Culinary Institute, in Montpelier. I absolutely love Vermont!!!

Joined Aug 9, 2017
Everything's going pretty okay right now, learned New Hampshire is absolutely wonderful in terms of community. People here are friendly and very helpful. I decided while Im waiting for these background checks to come back (thankfully squeaky clean background) I volunteered at two community areas, figured why not help make the food I'm eating for free. Surprised to say, there's some really good chef's working these stations for free, in fact most of the towns Chefs in terms of locally owned restaurants volunteer here on their off time. I've made wonderful connections just working one night there. Learned a few new techniques when it comes to breakfast cooking (an area I severely lack in)

I think they need a new name; "The From-Scratch Homeless Kitchen" lol, little bit of a joke.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I learned to ski on Spruce Peak. We were there the summer of 2016 and man, the Mountain Road has changed. But, for all the change I was happy to see more than a few places still going strong, that I remember from my childhood in the late 70's and early 80's.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
What an excellent thing to do. Good for you for being brave enough to wing it. When time permits, explore New England. New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine, Massachusetts, etc. all have lots to see and do. And plenty of great food.
Sounds like you're adjusting well so far. Hope the good luck continues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom