So how did NYE go?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by phaedrus, Jan 1, 2015.

1. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It was actually easy money for me this year.  We were staffed to the hilt which helps, but being a Weds night when it's 10 degrees F outside also took some of the sting out of it.  We did pretty good sales of course but it went well.  The features happened to mostly not be on my station this time.  Overall I think it's about the most painless NYE I've worked that I can remember.

How did it go for all you folks?

2. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Fun. Kinda crazy. A little ruthless.
    Hours were something like 1pm 30th to 6am 31st prepping after service (we have a four man crew) for a tasting/ a la carte special menu and a whole mess of resos. Home to sleep and see my babies for six hours and back at one pm to push a really nice service. An old chef of mine who's a good friend of us all even came over in the middle of the night to help us plas out the menu.

It was/is a total blast, I work with a couple of culinary ninja assassins who are all geeking out non stop about food, trying to one up each other. It feels like a marathon. I got off at 4am (after kind of a sloppy cleaning job) and I'll be back in four hours, waiting with a couple of hot hash browns for my cheffy friends to execute a lovely brunch service.
    I'm happy to here that you had a successful end to 2014, congratulations and happy new year!

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Retired I was sleeping by 11.30.     47 New years eves in the past was enough. Let the young guys do it now.

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Total agreement Ed.
    Proud of myself after knocking out 125 corporate baskets for Christmas Eve delivery did not accept even ONE cry for help from any frantic caterers lol.
    Did lose my Flour Competition photographer to an 11th hour hysterical noob (she was paid better for less work so cannot fault her lol).

Back to last nite.....
    The fisherman , the favorite Grand and myself crawled into my bed with our pads and read or watched Netflix all evening.
    Next door neighbor must have killed the bottle of tequila we gave him for dog watching tho.
    Out in his yard well before midnite.....popping firecrackers lol.
    Silly boy.

mimi

5. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    3 full seatings, 180 seats in the dining room. Four courses. Blahhhh. Everyone survived.

6. pirate-chef

pirate-chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    1 seating 60 people set 12 course. super smooth 

7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gawd I kinda miss that environment!...Notice emphasis on kinda. I work for a caterer now and for the most part enjoy my comparatively calm and sane work environment; but occasionally, especially around this time of year, I romance the good old days. Not enough to go back to it full time though. I may but crazy, but I ain't stoopid.

8. chef hanz

chef hanz

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bad broiler broke down during first half of 2 160 person seating and before a 80 person dinner show everything made it out but it was rough using 15% heat at a steak house

9. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     Not that one though!!! Good job chef gettin'er done despite the snag of the bad broiler. Kudos to you for a job well done.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  10. chef hanz

chef hanz

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yea it wasnt easy but we got it done the servers didn't u derstand it was broken and kept complaining all night but luckily its over and broiler is being repaired tomorrow mourninf

11. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That is big surprise huh? Sorry, I couldn't find the sarcasm font key, but take my word for, the comment is totally tongue in cheek/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  

12. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Haha suckers, I just had to go in for inventory! On my day off! Sigh...

13. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ah the good ole days

14. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    700 on the books for a buffet/all-inclusive. Went well, very few hiccups. Of course, a few customers took a little bit of the open-bar theme too much to heart... gotta relish those once-a-year revelers that don't know how to behave. Kitchen operations went smoothly, thankfully.

One of the displays for the buffet; vegetables, cheese, etc.

grande likes this.
  15. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thats alot of crudites!!!!

16. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hahaha! Glad everyone survived it.  We were closed NYD but open today.  I'm not sure what sales were but it felt busier tonite than NYE (but I'm sure we were "busier" then).  Realistically though V-Day is gonna be a lot worse than NYE.  Although after that it's smooth sailing til Easter/MD.