Chef Forum banner

So come to L.A and get a job in Santa Rosa..

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  gunnar 
#1 ·
yep..looks like I am headed back up to Northern Cali. Guy i used to work with at the Renaissance Faire has been saying he needs a Sous Chef he can rely on, I sent him my resume. Just had a phone interview with him and the GM on speaker...there is some final paperwork to be done..but long story short..looks like next week I drive back up North and get a spiffy new title...Sous Chef. My Culinary degree will still be in the works but I will be doing part-time student instead of full-time at Santa Rosa Junior College.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, Yep..be about 2 1/2 hours away from my wife. Why we can practically hold hands!  I enjoy that area of Cali. too...San Fran is right down the road and I will have trees and forest on hillsides again.  

#7 ·
all the very best to you gunnar in your new surroundings...just curious though, since you are already the sous chef and have basically achieved kitchen status,do you even need culinary school? you certainly don't seem to from reading your posts... are you halfway through or something, or is the degree really necessary these days, in these times, to get a solid job, or even to get an interview? i will say this...you have one very patient wife!...again, only the best to you!

joey

#9 ·
The schooling is more for management and business training.  Yes, having kitchen status is nice but I know I am lacking in some skills still and am thankful that my friend is the chef. Been a real busy week, i have been placed in charge of the catering mainly and helping with daily specials. The line cooks have no imagination and only one has any passion for cooking. Seriously, I asked everyone at one point and time what their favorite meal from their station was, be it salad or grill and they all say the same thing...the salad/burger/soup someone else has to make. I was doing work on both a potato salad popper and then later stuffed cabbage rolls for a catered event for 350 for last Thursday..had one guy that would just say "what a waste of time for a bunch of food no one is going to like anyway" and/or "HA! glad it's not me, that's too much work!" every time he walked by. They loved it, double checked with the client the next day and she had said there was nothing but compliments.

Planned and turned in three different menus for catering and next weeks lunch special at the cafe. This is all corporate stuff so it's a bit different for me i'm just glad the Chef thinks like me so while we are a bit limited from getting 90% from sysco, we are trying our best to bring in very little pre-made or heat and serve stuff. Just milled through the last of the previous chefs stouffers lasagna and replaced it with a baked sausage and/or vege penne. Chef started his own sour starterr and making in house our sourdough pizza. Want to start making more gluten free options, already started as I usually cook gluten free for my wife so it's gotten pretty automatic for me. All in all, a pretty good week. after 90 days benefits..paid vacations...and I already have my weekends off...yeah..pretty good week. A few hundred weeks like this would be really really nice.

and yes..my wife is a very patient person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.