Sning and honing on the stone?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by indiglofish61, Nov 24, 2016.

1. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello again. and Happy Thanksgiving!!  I finally got time today to get my knife on my JCK whetstones, The problem is when I get up to the 4k stone I try to get the burr and when I think I got it, cause its so hard for me to feel the burr when I get to 4k or higher. Well, when I get to the 4k, like I said when I get to the burr, I think, lol, I start to the strop and, every time I lose the edge the knife, the knife get s dull,. The ? is, when I get to like 4k and up, do I ease up on the pressure, and should I try to get the burr on each side, like on lower grits?

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It sounds to me as if you are experiencing a wire-edge issue. With the oulstones I use it is best to lighten up on the pressure with the fine grit stones. I use almost no pressure with a surgical black or transparent stone sine all they effectively do is polish. I'm assuming same principle for waterstones though.

3. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Use 4k only when you can't refine the burr any further and it only flips on the previous, coarser stones. Make sure not to round the edge. Use the marker trick to see where you're actually abrading steel. By the way, on a 4k I would only strop and deburr.

4. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks for the reply's, I was doing the whole sharpening thing when I came to the 4k,  I'll just the stropping and deburring when I get to the 4k , Thanks again, have a good one, I'll ;let you know the outcome when I get there.

5. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Take the angle a bit lower when stropping -- and verify with the marker.

6. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    ok will try that thanks for the info.

7. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What Benuser said.  When first learning to use stopping strokes it seems a natural tendency to raise the spine, thus rounding the edge.

8. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Definitely less pressure when you are on the last few strokes of each stone and on higher grit stones