Sning and honing on the stone?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by indiglofish61, Nov 24, 2016.

1. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello again. and Happy Thanksgiving!!  I finally got time today to get my knife on my JCK whetstones, The problem is when I get up to the 4k stone I try to get the burr and when I think I got it, cause its so hard for me to feel the burr when I get to 4k or higher. Well, when I get to the 4k, like I said when I get to the burr, I think, lol, I start to the strop and, every time I lose the edge the knife, the knife get s dull,. The ? is, when I get to like 4k and up, do I ease up on the pressure, and should I try to get the burr on each side, like on lower grits?

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It sounds to me as if you are experiencing a wire-edge issue. With the oulstones I use it is best to lighten up on the pressure with the fine grit stones. I use almost no pressure with a surgical black or transparent stone sine all they effectively do is polish. I'm assuming same principle for waterstones though.

3. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks for the reply's, I was doing the whole sharpening thing when I came to the 4k,  I'll just the stropping and deburring when I get to the 4k , Thanks again, have a good one, I'll ;let you know the outcome when I get there.

4. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    ok will try that thanks for the info.

5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What Benuser said.  When first learning to use stopping strokes it seems a natural tendency to raise the spine, thus rounding the edge.

6. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Definitely less pressure when you are on the last few strokes of each stone and on higher grit stones