Smoking question

Joined Nov 3, 2017
I'm smoking three 9 lb. pork butts. I estimate it will take about 9-10 hrs. I'm using an electric smoker. It holds i cup of wood chips.

Should I add more chips halfway through cooking time?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It depends a lot on how Smokey the pork gets and how Smokey you like it. I end toward a lighter smoke so don’t refresh wood, but I don’t use an electric smoker so can’t give you any definitive advise. But are you sure that’s enough time; what’s your smoker temp and the final pork temp?

Joined Feb 17, 2010
I have a masterbuilt smoker, I keep it smoking at least six hours. Have done hundreds of pounds of pork butts in it. Rotate your meat as needed. There will be hot and cold spots. Nine hours will be a starting point.
One cup of wood chips will do nothing for 27 lbs of meat.

Joined Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for all your kind advice. I just checked the chips and added more. The problem today is regulating the temp. I can't seem to get it up past 200F even turned to max, which I know is way too high, and smoke was pouring out. I think maybe the gauge on the door is malfunctioning.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Where are you at? Most of these home, electric smokers don't have a whole lot of insulation so if it is cold, rainy and/or windy you will have a hard time getting it up, past 200°F. I have a small Bradley smoker that can be problematic in such conditions. I place it just inside my garage (overhead door open). That helps keep it out of the wind and rain, which can really sap the heat from it. These little home electric smokers just don't have a heavy enough heating element to keep things above 200°F in poor conditions.

Like Kuan said, you can always wrap in foil and finish in the oven after you have given it as much smoke as you want.

Joined Nov 3, 2017
Where are you at? Most of these home, electric smokers don't have a whole lot of insulation so if it is cold, rainy and/or windy you will have a hard time getting it up, past 200°F. I have a small Bradley smoker that can be problematic in such conditions. I place it just inside my garage (overhead door open). That helps keep it out of the wind and rain, which can really sap the heat from it. These little home electric smokers just don't have a heavy enough heating element to keep things above 200°F in poor conditions.

Like Kuan said, you can always wrap in foil and finish in the oven after you have given it as much smoke as you want.
I'm in Illinois. It's 52F here, and not windy. I've got it just inside my garage door. When I open the door, the temp drops way down, then comes up while I watch it. When it get to 200F, EXACTLY, it stops. I think I'll let it go out there for a couple more hours for smoking, then bring it in and put it in the oven. I might need a new thermometer on the door. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those you hang on an oven rack that tells you the actual temp in your oven. Note to self - get one.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Sounds like your heating element just doesn't get hot enough. 200° is hot enough as you really only need to get to about 190° but it will take you forever to get there. As for the door opening, that is pretty much standard for these types of home smokers. Temps drop way down any time you open the door and because your heating element isn't that powerful it will take a little while to get the chamber back up to temp.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
If you are peeking you aren't cooking! Leave the door shut unless you need to rotate the meat to keep it cooking even.

Smoke it until the internal temp reaches 160ish (the stall where the internal meat temp stalls out or even drops a bit) then foil it and move it to a 250-275 oven to finish. Otherwise it is going to take forever at 200 degrees!

Joined Jun 27, 2012
This thread is reading like a classic how to smoke with the pros booklet.
Every single suggestion is of the take that to the bank caliber....even if they sound simple it is new knowledge to SOMEONE.
I sometimes forget how special CT is....hundreds of years of knowledge under one roof.
Free for the picking.
mimi

Latest posts

Top Bottom