Smoking Duck

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kylew, Jun 21, 2001.

1. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I have 3 duck breasts, split. I would like to smoke them. I have an electric bullet shaped smoker. I have seen any number of different approaches on the web. Does anyone here have a preferred method of smoking duck?
    As always your Advice and Counsel are greatly appreciated :)

Kyle

2. isa

isa

In the Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook there is a recipe for Cured Duck Breast "Prosciutto". Not really what you are looking for though. If interested let me know I'll post the recipe.

3. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I'd love to see it. Either post it or email it to me.
    Thanx :)

4. isa

isa

Let me know if you try this Kyle. I am curious about the results.

Cured Duck Breast “Prosciutto”

2 large whole boneless duck breast skin on
    2 1/2 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1 bay leaf, crumbled
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Lay the duck skin side down on a cutting board. Pull off the tiny tenderloins and save them for another purpose. With a sharp knife divide each heart-shaped breast into 2 pieces along the natural division in the centre. Trim any extra skin protruding from the edges.

Combine the salt, thyme, bay, and black pepper in a small bowl. Evenly sprinkle both sides of each of the 4 half-breast with the mixture. Arrange the breast in a single layer on a platter, cover, and refrigerate for 48 hours, turning them 2 or 3 times over the course of the 2 days

Drain any accumulated juices and pat the breasts dry. Wrap each piece in cheesecloth and tie a knot on each end with butcher’s twine, leaving a 12 inch length of twine on each end from which to hang them.

Hang the breasts for 10 days in a dry, cool place (we use the wine cellar), making sure they hang free and are not touching each other. Now turn them and hang them from the other end for another 8 to 10 days or until they are quite firm to the touch. Remove the cheesecloth, wrap the breast in parchment paper or plastic film, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.,

To serve, slice as thinly as possible on the diagonal with a very shharp knife.