Smoking Duck

Joined Aug 14, 2000
I have 3 duck breasts, split. I would like to smoke them. I have an electric bullet shaped smoker. I have seen any number of different approaches on the web. Does anyone here have a preferred method of smoking duck?
As always your Advice and Counsel are greatly appreciated :)

Kyle

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
In the Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook there is a recipe for Cured Duck Breast "Prosciutto". Not really what you are looking for though. If interested let me know I'll post the recipe.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Let me know if you try this Kyle. I am curious about the results.

Cured Duck Breast “Prosciutto”

2 large whole boneless duck breast skin on
2 1/2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Lay the duck skin side down on a cutting board. Pull off the tiny tenderloins and save them for another purpose. With a sharp knife divide each heart-shaped breast into 2 pieces along the natural division in the centre. Trim any extra skin protruding from the edges.

Combine the salt, thyme, bay, and black pepper in a small bowl. Evenly sprinkle both sides of each of the 4 half-breast with the mixture. Arrange the breast in a single layer on a platter, cover, and refrigerate for 48 hours, turning them 2 or 3 times over the course of the 2 days

Drain any accumulated juices and pat the breasts dry. Wrap each piece in cheesecloth and tie a knot on each end with butcher’s twine, leaving a 12 inch length of twine on each end from which to hang them.

Hang the breasts for 10 days in a dry, cool place (we use the wine cellar), making sure they hang free and are not touching each other. Now turn them and hang them from the other end for another 8 to 10 days or until they are quite firm to the touch. Remove the cheesecloth, wrap the breast in parchment paper or plastic film, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.,

To serve, slice as thinly as possible on the diagonal with a very shharp knife.

Latest posts

Top Bottom