smoking and fermenting peppers

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by milan, Apr 2, 2016.

1. milan

milan

Exp:
    At home cook
    howdy - anyone taken peppers like fresno chilies and then smoked then following by a pickle or fermentation?

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If you do facebook look into a group called The Salt Cured Pickle.

mjb.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know The Salt Cured Pig on Facebook but I just tried doing a search for The Salt Cured Pickle and don't find anything.

4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Never smoked or fermented, but pickled Fresnos. Even dried them, which some say can't be done.

5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Oh, but in hindsight I did ferment Fresno - if you consider fermenting for hot sauce. Still have some of the Fresno hot sauce. Awesome stuff on fried chicken!

but never smoked one. I guess that might b an interesting variation of a chipotle.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  6. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have smoked and dried a number of different chiles, from jalapenos, poblanos and cayenne.  All hold the smoke well, dried beautifully and tasted great.

7. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    How long in the smoke, Pete? Alway dry afterward or. Have you ever preserved in an adobo?

8. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never tried preserving in adobo, always dried as the smoking process already starts the drying.  I will usually smoke them at about 115-125°F with a light smoke (so not to overpower them) for about 2-3 hours.  You could do shorter, with heavier smoke but like I said I use it as a way to start the drying process, then I'll finish in my dehydrator.

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  10. ericslomski

ericslomski

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Smoking them shouldn't be an issue. 2 or 3 hours at 200 deg. I usually continue to dry/dehydrate after smoking, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pickle them after. Good luck!

11. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think 2 to 3 hours at 200°F is too high a heat.  You will, possibly, end up cooking them and turning them to mush.  The smoking needs to be done at a lot lower temperature.

12. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I need to run to the store for a couple items, maybe I'll get some peppers and do a cold smoke this evening. The smoking might kill the itty bitty bugs that power the salt brine fermentation, might have to do that part with a mix of fresh and smoked.

mjb.

14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

Fresnos, habaneros, jalapenos - we'll see what happens.

mjb.

15. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

About 15 hours of a light cold smoke over 3 days. Will put these pups in a brine tomorrow, along with a couple of fresh ones, maybe garlic, and see what they look and taste like when we get back from Phoenix on Monday.

mjb.

16. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So the cold smoked peppers go into a 4% brine. Here's what they look like now:

Most certainly fermentation is occurring. Pop off the loose fitting lid and you get a BIG hit of smoke. Take a taste of a pepper, not much smoke. Seems the brine pulls the smoke flavor out of the pepper, I guess.

Think I might hot smoke a batch of jalapenos this weekend, mince them and these peppers and do a mash rather than continue with whole chilies.

mjb.

17. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Fresno peppers pickled, not fermented.

18. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    @teamfat  I'll be interested in how they taste in a few more weeks.  I'm not surprised that the brine pulled out a lot of the smoke flavor, but I'm wondering if it might not make its way back in somewhat as those peppers continue to sit in the brine.