Smokin ribs!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Jun 27, 2014.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Our next attempt at using the smoker is for ribs, yeehaw! Our first attempt was a few years ago with a brisket, and last month we smoked a pork butt. I live spare ribs so we are setting out to do it today. The ribs have been rubbed and waiting.

We cutoff the tips. Those always get so tough and chewy, what do y'all do with them?

2. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Some people will fight you for the rib tips.. I leave them on for that reason, it's preference but some people definitely prefer that (like white or dark meat on chicken)

3. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I leave them on as well.

Koukou, why don't you marinate or brush them with some turmeric, soy, ginger and chili and post in the SE Asia challenge?

I will find you the name of the dish later /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't like those rib tips but I'm pretty sure it's because we're not cooking them right. We had to cut them off because they wouldn't fit in our smoker all in one piece lol.

We're doing an American BBQ @butzy, SE Asian is just not our cup of tea around here.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Why not simply pull the tips out early and perhaps somehow some way serve as appetizers as little tidbits.  They could also be used to flavor a pot of beans.

6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What about par-boiling the racks?
    I've read about this, but never tried it yet.

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sacrelidge.  YOU WILL BE BANNED!

8. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gifyep.. people sure have their opinions on these things!

I wouldn't suggest pulling the rib tips early.. they are in fact filled with a lot of fat/cartilage (which is part of their appeal to those that lust for them) so as long as you are cooking low and slow I'd leave them in the full time. Haven't had much trouble with this myself.

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Low and slow to loosen the gristle aka the ligaments that connect bone to bone.  Juicy.

...former chiro here............

10. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I usually leave the tips on myself, lots of good meat hiding in there that is sooo juicy. But since you removed them toss them on the smoke then simmer them in sauerkraut. Pull the ribs out and strip off all the meat and return the meat to the kraut. Serve as a side dish or over mashed potatoes.

11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    You make stock by putting meat and bones in water to extract the flavor from the meat and infuse it into the water.

So what do you think happens when you par-boil ribs?

mjb.

eastshores likes this.
  12. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Whoa there nelly, hold up partners!

Do an Internet search using any engine you like and I think that you'll find oodles of recipes that suggest 'parboiling' pork ribs... I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin is all

13. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I have some friends with no access to a decent size smoker ( the condo people) and they simmer then smoke as long as the 20 pieces of charcoal lasted in the hibachi then wrap in foil to finish in the oven.
    They were def better than no ribs at all!!!
    Will have to reference my short marriage to Mr John Deere twice in one day but we all sacrifice for the important things in life.....
    We raised a steer for the freezer once or twice a year.
    Grass and hay grazed then finished with corn (no not my sweet corn lol) and the ribs were awesome but too tough to eat unless I did the same as my condo friends.
    Short simmer then roasted in the oven (skipped the smoke).
    Served with crispy potatoes and sometimes Yorkshire Pudding.
    A rib roast without the roast lol.

mimi

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think that the tips could also be foiled during most of the smoke time.

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well howdy all, the ribs came out alright for our first time. They were a bit over rubbed for my taste, and a little dry though we did our best to keep them moist. But everyone went crazy for them so what do I know?

The tips were in the smoker just as long but I think next time after they german but of smoke I'll wrap them. Heck I think I'll wrap the ribs too. There was a bit of dryness with our pork butt too, perhaps our heat is too high.

Boiled corn then roasted with herbed butter.

Parboiled potatoes then roasted with cheddar and blue cheese crust.

16. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What temperature and how much time????  You'll note that on the tv show BBQ Pittmasters, all of their meat gets foiled at some point in the cooking.

17. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    SCRUMPTIOUS!

18. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    About 200f for 4.5 hrs

19. cj edmonson

cj edmonson

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pound down the rib fat tip like a schnitzel. Wrap it around asparagus or a fabricated beef tenderloin

20. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    200 is a bit low, bump it to 225 to 250 for ribs. I often use 275 when doing ribs to speed it up a touch. Dry can be one of 2 things, underdone or over done. Were they falling off the bone?