smoker newbie doing my first pork butt

Joined Aug 18, 2007

pork wasn't quite ready in time for dinner. I always had a contingency plan, cos we had folk over and im not about to serve a disaster if i can help it. Bit of a disappointment, as some folk remembered the old cow and chicken cartoons and were looking forward to pork butts n taters. We did slice the meat later with garlic bread to help soak up the alcohol

So dinner was Taters and prawns with cous cous

Chicken thighs and rather well fired (caramelised) belly pork

stuffed portabello mushrooms with tomato and mushroom concasse, topped with Roquefort and Jersey cream

Joined Mar 21, 2008
First rule of BBQ "It is done when it is done" rushing it via higher temps will lead to inferior product at the learning stage. Once you learn the basics you can do some tricks to speed it up but I think it still isn't quite as good. One thing you can do is start your cook 2 hours earlier next time, if the meat gets done early double wrap in foil and place it into a towel lined cooler you preheated with hot water then dumped out. This can hold the meat for up to 4 hours and it also does a little carry on cooking to make things even more tender.

Joined Aug 18, 2007
You're so right Mary. I was well warned about rushing things and as you say, getting the meat on earlier is the way.

Thanks for the cooler idea

Bug

Top Bottom