Smoked Whole Red Snapper

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by oldpro, Feb 16, 2010.

1. oldpro

oldpro

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I received my Weber Smokey Mountain yesterday. In looking through the recipes, there was one for a whole 10 pound red snapper, smoked for 4 hours. We catch a large number of this size snapper during the summer, ao I feel sure I will try this.

I have done whole snapper on my Weber kettle in banana leaves with very good - no, outstanding - results. I also grill a lot of our catch. I have never seen a recipe like this for snapper.

Have any of you done this? If so, what are your thoughts?

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Not in a WSM, but in other smokers. Very good results. 4 hours seems way too long, but it depends on the size of the fish.

You don't need a banana leaf. Indeed you don't want to wrap too early in the process, because it will block the smoke.

But you do need a base for the fish in order to transfer it. You can use a baking sheet turned upside down, a home-made cardboard tray covered with tin foil, a plank, or what have you. Just have a plan for moving the cooked fish, it will be fragile.

Unless they've changed it, not every word in the WSM manual is gospel. Some of it's not good barbecue advice and they even miss quite a few WSM-specific tricks. Get over to The Virtual Weber Bullet - For the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker enthusiast and bookmark it immediately. It's not perfect, but is THE place for information on WSMs and a very good general barbecue forum as well.

BDL

3. oldpro

oldpro

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The snapper recipe jumped out at me when I first saw it.  I really had not read much of the Weber manual when I posted, but you are correct as to the content.  There is a lot of information that is contradictory to my experience.  The Weber Bullet forum is quite good, as you stated.

4. grumio

grumio

Exp:
    At home cook
    I saw some lovely sardines at the market today; I'll be smoking this weekend (weather permitting); I think I'll throw some of those on & see how it goes.  I've never done fish in a smoker.  45 minutes

@250f, mebbe?  An hour?