Smoked turkey leg skin

Joined May 4, 2005
How do I get a good bite through skin for my turkey legs? I usually have to pull it back. I've already brined them overnight; should I spritz with vinegar mixture or just cook them slower?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
What's your usual timing and temp and equipment?

The chicken I did for the 4th I smoked "cold" for an hour, then with rising heat and to finish at 375 for about 80 minutes. By cold smoking, I just put the chicken in my smoker for an hour with an Amazen smoke tube.

the chicken was cold going in so this is basically that bring to room temp time. Then I fired up the Traeger with the smoke tube still going. Set to 250 for about 25 minutes, then to 325 for 20, then brushed the skin with butter and set to 375 for the last cooking .

Amazon link is being wonky, sorry

Best poultry skin I've had from smoked poultry. But not as smoky as you might want.

Joined May 4, 2005
What's your usual timing and temp and equipment?

The chicken I did for the 4th I smoked "cold" for an hour, then with rising heat and to finish at 375 for about 80 minutes. By cold smoking, I just put the chicken in my smoker for an hour with an Amazen smoke tube . the chicken was cold going in so this is basically that bring to room temp time. Then I fired up the Traeger with the smoke tube still going. Set to 250 for about 25 minutes, then to 325 for 20, then brushed the skin with butter and set to 375 for the last cooking .

Amazon link is being wonky, sorry

Best poultry skin I've had from smoked poultry. But not as smoky as you might want.
I have a Weber charcoal kettle, so I'm building the smoker myself. I usually use the snake method. Shorter snakes for chickens or turkeys. Today I'm smoking a pork loin at the same time. My temps are usually 220-250.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It takes a high heat finish to get the skin right. Traditional smoking dries it out. Brush it with oil or fat once per hour to keep it moist. Finish with a fresh brush of fat and direct grilling/broiling/torch. Not ideal skin but better.

Hopefully the smoke pros like @teamfat @millionsknives will chime in with better ideas

Joined May 4, 2005
It takes a high heat finish to get the skin right. Traditional smoking dries it out. Brush it with oil or fat once per hour to keep it moist. Finish with a fresh brush of fat and direct grilling/broiling/torch. Not ideal skin but better.

Hopefully the smoke pros like @teamfat @millionsknives will chime in with better ideas
Thanks!

Top Bottom