smoked salmon question..

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by beanshr, Jun 15, 2017.

1. beanshr

beanshr

Exp:
    At home cook
    Today I bought frozen vacuum package of "Nordic Seafood" cold smoked salmon and was very (unpleasantly) surprised to see that on the back of the package it says "Must be cooked before consumption". I've always eaten smoked salmon without cooking and have never seen a package of smoked salmon that says it should be cooked before consumption no matter the manufacturer.

So, my question is why it must be cooked? I could make some pasta with it, but I'd really prefer not to cook it, what would you do?

Thank you..

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It is commendable that you read the packaging. I would assume that statement was required by a corprate lawyer... and promptly ignore it.

3. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I agree with BrianShaw. I've had more than my share of cold smoked salmon, mostly non-commercial & homemade, will no ill-effects.  The warning is just boilerplate from a corporate lawyer.

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    A - it's frozen

B - it's cold smoked

C - Enjoy

5. beanshr

beanshr

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks people, in the meantime I also emailed "nordic seafood" about the issue and they said it's a "mistake from their supplier" so I guess I'm eating it as it's supposed to be eaten, uncooked :).

BTW, something else that's also strange on the label is that after it's thawed and kept in fridge (+5C) it should be consumed within 24 hours, it doesn't specify whether opened or unopened. I would expect it should last at least 2-3 weeks in the fridge if not opened.

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'm sure that's what they said... that's an easy thing to do... point the finger down the supply chain.

Looking at their product line it is interesting that the smoked salmon you have is the only product they offer that does not need to be cooked. I suspect that "they" (whoever "they" may be) chose to use existing packaging content to avoid having to develop unique packaging content for a single product. And if it wasn't intentional... it was inadvertent re-use of existing packaging content by an employee who wasn't thinking very hard. Or it was an oversight by their QA folks who really should have been focused on ALL of the quality aspect of their product... including the correctness and accuracy of packaging.

I know unfrozen packaged smoke salmon last a long time in a fridge. Opened... I'd consume within 24 hours.  But have no experience since it always gets eaten well before 24 hours has passed.

7. beanshr

beanshr

Exp:
    At home cook

8. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I see salt in the ingredients. I believe it is cured then cold smoked. You can eat cured salmon, no heat required.

jasmine subba likes this.