Smoked Briskets

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by chefskeeter, Mar 10, 2006.

1. chefskeeter

chefskeeter

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ok, now I know how to do up some award winning BBQ so that's not my queston here. What I want to know about is this, there is a deli in New York, Schwatz, they have been in business for 75 years. They do a cure on the meat and then smoke it for 2 hours then put it in a steam pan and cook it a little longer......now they say it is not corned beef.....I am trying to find out what the rub is that they cure it in. I am wanting to start selling meats like that here in my shoppe for lunches.....anyone have any ideas on this??????

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  3. chefskeeter

chefskeeter

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    yeah thats it....but how theheck do they do it? I mean mine did not look that pink at all......anyone have any other ideas......

4. fbm357

fbm357

Exp:
    At home cook
    Have you ever been to 'Katz'? NYC landmark in lower Manhattan. Brisket and Pastrami is awesome!

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've enjoyed both corned beef and pastrami at Katz's. I've also eaten "smoked meat" in Montreal. There is a distinct difference between what we in the U.S. know as pastrami and corned beef and the smoked meat of Montreal. Delicious to be sure, but different.

6. nentony

nentony

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    "yeah thats it....but how theheck do they do it? I mean mine did not look that pink at all......anyone have any other ideas......"

Maybe some pink salt, sodium nitrite.

Tony