Chef Forum banner

Smoked Brisket!!!

6K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  InFlavour Food Expo 
#1 ·
Heyyy food lovers!!! I wanna try my hand at preparing a smoked brisket. Please give me the best recipe possible. Awaiting responses from all of you. Thanks a lot !!!

#5 ·
First I want to welcome you to the new and improved Chef Talk.
Then I will offer up the fact that smoking meat (even the common brisket) is more of a procedure than a recipe and ask what you already know.
Have you perused the many threads here on the site?
Followed any of the TMTC blogs/forums out there?
Read any books?
Done something crazy like experimented on your own?

Not at all trying to avoid your request for advice but if you just dig around a bit...find a technique that looks simple enuf...and just jump in with both feet and then come back with specific questions... helping you would be so much more efficient.

mimi

#16 ·
I smoked a 6.5 lb brisket yesterday at 225 with a juice pan under it. This was my first one on the BGE. It cooked for 14 hours and only reached 174 degrees. I could have waited longer for it to reach 190 but everybody was hungry and it was getting late at night. That seems like a long time to me. I was told about 1.5 hours per pound. This went way over that and was still not done enough for me. Any suggestions? If I would have left it on to reach 190 it may have taken 16 hours. Does that seem a little long?

#6 ·
I rub my brisket down with lots of salt and pepper and a little granulated garlic. Sometimes, I will also use some ground ancho for just the slightest kick. Then into the smoker, at about 225-230°F for as long as it takes. I've had some whole briskets only take 10-12 hours and others that took 16. Once it's done I like to wrap in foil and let it sit in my oven for about 45-60 minutes with the oven turned on to 150°F. While the cooking is slow and low, I feel that the resting period helps improve it a bit.

#8 ·
I just happen to have a brisket on the smoker right now, went on at eight this morning, most likely be babysitting it well past bedtime.
I go simple, kosher salt and cracked black pepper in equal amounts.
I try to cook at about 250. Currently using a mix of briquettes and alder logs, because that's the only hardwood I can get here.
I also agree with Pete on the rest period.

#11 ·
I rarely use liquid smoke, but I do have a bottle of it and I find uses for it, occasionally. The most important thing with the stuff is to use it super sparingly-I'm talking a drop or 2. It is powerful stuff and can easily overpower a dish, and a person's senses, as chefbuba described.

#15 ·
Welcome to chef talk!! I agree that it’s more about technique than a recipe. Brisket, pork butt, ribs, roast etc.. are tough tough cuts, so long and slow cooking is best for breaking down connective tissue. I wouldn’t go over 225 for brisket and make sure to put it fat side up on your smoker. You can use a Texas crutch as well which is wrapping it in plastic wrap ( make sure it’s thick like from a restaurant supply store) and foil, or red butcher paper after about 6 hours on the smoker. Traditional seasoning for brisket in Tx ( mostly East Tx) is just salt and pepper and lots of each. I generally go 12-14 hours on a 10-12lb brisket, also spraying with apple cider vinegar about halfway through and at the end does wonders for flavor and moisture retention. Another good tip is DO NOT peek at it let it cook at least 10 hours if not doing a crutch then check it. If your looking your not cooking. Have fun!!!

#17 ·
Salt,pepper, heat, rest.

Really depends on the type of smoker exactly how you do it. On my stick burner I'm fine doing 275f, a good salt and course black pepper rub and cook it to tender, naked. Then wrap in butcher paper and rest in a cooler at least 2 hours

But, just about any variation of cooking can give you a decent product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.