Smoked Apple Sauce: Any thoughts on the concept?

Joined Jan 10, 2010
While cruising thru recipes, I saw a recipe that called for smoked apples.  Well, that got me to thinking about smoked apple sauce.  I like to make apple sauce, and have made it a couple of ways, but never with smoked apples.  It seems like a bad idea, but I couldn't help but wonder ... has anyone tried making smoked apple sauce?  Any thoughts on how it may turn out?  If, as I suspect, the smoke flavor wouldn't work well, how might the apple sauce be made so that the smoke flavor might work satisfactorily?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Not as an end result but maybe as a step along the way to something else. Barbecue sauce for example. Or maybe as part of a filler for a low fat sausage.

Joined Apr 17, 2010
I don't see it as a stand-alone dish.  Maybe something to top some nice chops with, etc.  How about a 1/4" dice of the smoked apples, mix it with some bacon and slaw veggies into a smoked apple and bacon slaw?  Team it with the right dressing and that might rock.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 10, 2010
After getting feedback in a few venues,  and reading a few web sites, I've changed my opinion, and now think that it's an idea worth trying.  I can envision a few ways to do this, so some experimenting is in order.

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Cool beans, let us know how it works out.  I love grilled veggies/fruit so this might be really good after some tweaking.

Joined Jan 12, 2010
A few years back I threw some apples on the smoker to try after a cookout. Towards the end of the cooking, I basted with a brown sugar, butter, clove and cinnamon glaze to caramelize. I let them sit for awhile then chopped and served warm over some homemade vanilla bean ice cream.

Everyone raved about them, no leftovers and wanted more but I thought they sucked. Go figure.  

Top Bottom