Smoke if you got em'.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
When I was working at a restaurant called Founders Hill Brewing Company we had this great smoker. Before I worked there I never did much with smoked foods because I never had a smoker. Once I got that smoker I smoked just about eveything I could think of. One of the best dishes I remember was a hickory smoked porterhouse with a red onion marmalade, and a roasted shallot butter. I would love to hear what other people have been smoking? Ha ha.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
You know, I never messed around with smoking cheese very much. I did try smoking some goat cheese and it wasn't too bad. Actually one of the more interesting things I smoked was wild rice. Cooked it most of the way, drained it and then hot smoked it. Everyone loved it. My chef just looked at me and asked "what ever made you think of that".

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Like a wood grill I cant imagine cooking without access to a smoker. Beyond meats, I love to smoke vegetables most often onions, and tomatoes. After smoking them they can be used in sauces, soups, to flavor other items such as grits or polenta.
But one of my favorite uses for a smoker is to smoke all my grains for beer brewing at home. Every fall I make a sweet smoked stout to get me through the winter.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Pete, i'm with Carol, when do get to try some of this stout? I am stout lover and have been for quite awhile, but I have never had the pleasure of trying a smoked one. We should get some people together and do a stout party or tasting.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, you all will have to wait until fall as making my smoked stout is a fall ritual for me. But stay tuned!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom