Smaller batch Slow Cooker Apple Butter

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The Washington Post had this recipe recently.

"Apple butter, while delicious, is typically labor-intensive, but this slow cooker version allows you to enjoy the spread with minimal hands-on time. Just peel, core and chop the apples, and the slow cooker will do the heavy lifting. Extra jars of this deeply flavorful spread make a thoughtful gift.

Storage: To put up apple butter long-term, ladle it into sterilized glass jars and follow the jar manufacturer’s directions. Otherwise, ladle the butter into clean jars, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 weeks.

Active time: 1 hour 30 mins
Total time: 11 to 12 hours, depending on how fast the apples break down
Servings: 80 (makes 10 cups)

Ingredients

6 pounds apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground clove

Place the apples in the slow cooker and cook, uncovered, on high for 1 hour.

Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. The apples will have lost at least a third of their volume and should break and crumble when you poke them with a fork. Taste and add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, salt and clove and stir well to combine.

Turn the heat back up to high, cover and cook for 1 hour more. Taste and adjust the spices, then puree the apples with an immersion or regular blender, or in a food processor to make a velvety smooth apple butter."
I want to cut it in half as it's just way more than I want around, even including giving some away. Can anyone see any likely problems with cutting it in half? I think the final 1 hour on high will probably be less, as I'm just not reducing as much liquid.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It's not rated for canning or shelf storage so refrigerate or freeze. Which is more than I want for rate of consumption

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
In the recipe, in the link you posted it says that you can put it up for long term storage, and I can't see a problem with that. Ladle the hot apple butter into sterilized jars and process for 10 minutes once the water returns to a boil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom