slow roasted goose

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kongfeet, Nov 13, 2009.

1. kongfeet

Found this recipe and was wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like it. I've roasted a duck (5 lb) at 275 for 4 hours (and additional blast at 375 for 30 min) and it came out great, but I've never gone any lower than that (with a duck or goose), temperature-wise. Any comments would be appreciated.

Here's the recipe I found:

Use a 2- to 3-inch deep roasting pan with a rack to roast the goose.
    Salt, to taste1 goose (10 to 13 pounds)1 carrot, chopped1 onion, chopped1 stalk celery, chopped1 leek, chopped
    1. Set the oven at 200 degrees. Rub the skin and cavity with salt. Remove any pockets of fat from neck or vent end. With a sharp fork or the tip of a paring knife, prick the skin well all over.
    2. Put the carrot, onion, celery, and leek inside the cavity. Tie the legs together with butcher's twine. Place the goose breast side down on the rack. Be sure no parts are hanging over the edge of the pan, as they may drip fat.
    3. Roast the goose for 7 hours, turning it breast side up halfway through cooking, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the leg registers 180 degrees. Use a large metal spoon or turkey baster to remove some of the fat during roasting. Transfer it to a heatproof bowl. (Use the fat to roast the vegetables.)
    4. Remove the bird from the pan and set it on a warm platter in a warm place for 20 minutes. Carve the goose as you would a chicken or turkey. Adapted from Martha Stone
  2. suzanne

The main concern is food safety: how long with the bird spend in that 40 to 140 degree F range? My guess is most of those 7 hours, which could be a prescription for food-borne illness.

But if it does happen to be safe, that's probably a good way to have a well-done but still moist goose (that can be a problem with roast goose). Whether it really renders out most of the (considerable) fat, I don't know if the temp is high enough for that.
  3. duckfat

Assuming that the OP is using a gas oven and it works properly the oven temp should never dip below 140 if set at 200. While gas oven temperatures do fluctuate up and down as the oven cycles if it is operating at +/- 60 degrees that would be pretty unusual. If an elcetric oven is used temperature fluctuation should be minimal.