Slow Food on CBS

Joined May 14, 2001
As promised in an earlier Slow Food topic in the "Cook's Corner" section of this very BB, here I am shouting from the rooftops that we have an airdate for the CBS Sunday Morning Segment on Slow Food!

Wake up early or set your VCR's - it's this Sunday, May 27th, at 9am Eastern, 8am Central, on your local CBS affiliate.

Now, it could get bumped if a scandal breaks or something like that, but otherwise, it's firm.

For those of you who missed the other topic, CBS Correspondant Rita Braver joined us in March for a Slow Food Event at Simone's Farm (real cassoulet! :D ) and then interviewed a couple of other local producers, finishing with a segment at my restaurant.

Also, for those who have yet to hear of Slow Food, I refer you again to that earlier topic, to http://www.slowfood.com, and our local site at http://www.devotay.com/SlowFoodIowa Main.htm

Tune in, turn on, Slow down!

Peace,
kmf

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Thanks kmf for the information. Will you be on the show?

I have a question for you:

I have a bag of Mogette de Vendée. Can they be used in Cassoulet?

:rolleyes:

Joined May 14, 2001
Thanks Kimmie & Papa,

Yes, Kimmie, I thnk I'll be in it. They shot several hours of tape for a very short segment, though (3.5 hours for 8 minutes, or something like that) so I guess maybe they will agree with others who've told me I have a face for radio.

As to your other question, yes, Mogette de Vendée (or Mogette vendéenne) is among several types of beans that are sort of debated as the best beans for cassoulet. Most of the time, we North Americans have to settle for Navy Beans.

Whatever beans you use, make sure that you do not use any smoked fats, sausages or meats (including your famous Montreal smoked meat) :p . The smoke flavor will overpower everything, and the delicate wonder that is cassoulet will vanish under the fog of hickory.

Watch the segment to see some real cassoulet. Hopefully you'll see some of the production as well.

And on a side note, Rita Braver asked me where I learned to cook. I told her it was from watching hours of Ming Tsai and Multo Mario :D

Peace,
kmf

Joined Mar 13, 2001
A face for radio!! :D :D !!!

kmf,

Concerning the Cassoulet, how dare you! I like Pierre Franey's...

I don't believe you...

On TV Sunday, just wink at the camera so that I know who YOU are!!

;)

[ May 23, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined May 14, 2001
Well, it was all prereorded, & my time machine broke down, so I won't be able to wink at you ;) but I'm fairly confident Ms. Braver will mention who I am.

Concentrate on the Slow Food stuff, though. My ego is doing a fine job of thinking it's all about me without any help from anyone else. Dig the Cassoulet. Check out the footage from the bison ranch, from Simone's wood oven, from the Slow Food BBQ Bash. This stuff is awesome! Spread the word!

CBS at 9am EDT/8am CDT (By the way, Kimmie, that's the real CBS, not the Canadian one :p )

Not so fast...
kmf

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Well, kmf, I guess I will have to concentrate on Slow Food especially if you do have a face for radio!

I also look forward to that special footage on cassoulet.

BTW, there's no such thing as a Canadian CBS!! We watch the American one and I'll be watching, or rather...concentrating!
Whatdyamean "not so fast"?

:eek:

[ May 23, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined May 14, 2001
Oh, right, CBC.

"Not so fast" as in:
"We are all going to the same place. Let us go there slowly." - Carlo Petrini

Just testing out a gimmicky way to sign off on these slow food posts. Which did you like better? "Not so fast" or "Tune in, turn on, slow down."?

Speed kills.
kmf

Joined May 14, 2001
CBS has now posted a blurb about the upcoming show on their website. Follow this link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1...2-412,00.shtml

It appears they start the piece with the folks at the main office in NYC and their BBQ fest from a couple weeks ago, then move on to us out here in the hinterlands. Not sure what to expect, but I'm excited nonetheless! First, though, I have to get through my restaurants biggest catering job ever tomorrow :eek:

Slowly,
kmf

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Dear kmf,

My choice would be:

Tune in, turn on, slow down

I'll be watching too!

Joined May 14, 2001
Great! Now let's just hope there are no Jim Jeffords-like bombshells in the next 48 hrs. to get it bumped.

Tune in, et al
kmf

"What is fame? Fame is but a slow decay— Even this shall pass away" - Theodore Tilton

Latest posts

Top Bottom