Slow Food Challenge 2020

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Sauerkraut:
I started it in this cute little pot with waterlock.
Finely shredded cabbage, pounded in a big wooden pestle and mortar, with 1.5-2.0 % salt and a couple of juniper berries
IMG_20201016_172805_1.jpg

Dinnertime :
IMG_20201016_191008.jpg

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Easy eady,
Just boiled potatoes with a little bit of bacon (as I had no gravy).
Drained the potatoes. Just left a little liquid. Put the sauerkraut on top till warm and then mashed the whole lot.

One weird thing though, I had some left overs and when I reheated that, it was more sauer (sour/acidic) than the original.
Anyone knows why?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Easy eady,
Just boiled potatoes with a little bit of bacon (as I had no gravy).
Drained the potatoes. Just left a little liquid. Put the sauerkraut on top till warm and then mashed the whole lot.

One weird thing though, I had some left overs and when I reheated that, it was more sauer (sour/acidic) than the original.
Anyone knows why?
Wow interesting. That's widely different from what I do! So I suppose the sauerkraut is barely cooked, just warmed raw sauerkraut?

I melt thinly sliced onions then add the sauerkraut, white wine, black peppercorns, juniper berries and sometimes other aromatics (fresh thyme, bay leave, carvi...) and cook for hours, adding salted meats at different times throughout the cooking.

I boil potatoes on the side and serve them on the side.

Did you rinse it before cooking it? I always rinse my sauerkraut thoroughly before cooking to remove the acidity.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I don't rinse mine either.
Sometimes I boil it seperate, maybe 10-15 minutes or so, then mash it in with the potatoes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom