Slow Cooker. How to choose?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by dan27, Feb 1, 2016.

1. dan27

dan27

Exp:
    Other
    I'm on the hunt for a slow cooker. I've never owned or used one before, but love the thought of coming home to a warm meal that's ready to eat. I don't have a lot of counter or storage space in my apartment and am mostly cooking for two. Any suggestions?

2. scribble

scribble

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would look for one with a good timer setting. I had one that would only let you get to warm if you ran through a 4-10 hour setting and then it was set for 4,7, 10 hour settings.  I purchase a new version last year that let me set the timer to whatever I wanted and also let me go directly to warm for things I just wanted to keep warm after cooking on the stove or oven.

3. alexandra23

alexandra23

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I actually own four crock pots in varying sizes. The small one is great for breakfast oatmeal or a side dish of dried beans. The largest can hold a whole chicken or small turkey or baked potatoes for the whole family. And the in-betweens are perfect for a typical chili or soup meal. The one MUST HAVE feature is a removable insert; the first one I ever had (a hand-me-down from my parents when I was in college) was a one-piece thing, and it was a pain to wash. A removable insert can to into the dishwasher. Beyond that, the differences are minimal - of course, I must admit that I have no experience with the browning features; they might be worthwhile. 

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2016
  4. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    With Valentines and Presidents Day sales coming up, I would check out Bed, Bath & Beyond and wal-mart on line or in person to see what best meets your cooking needs, etc.

5. chrysfox

chrysfox

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We're a 2 person family, and I find I get the most use out of my 1 1/2 qt and 3 qt  ones.  
      The smaller one lives on the back burner of my rangetop, which I rarely turn on. 
    The larger one I store on top of the microwave; it only takes up counter space when in use.

Neither has a timer, but I've had no problem plugging them into a standard appliance (lamp) timer.